Hinge squeak lube advice

Page 2 of 2

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 19:38:13 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

That's Satan, telling you he's there.

That's Satan playing tricks. What's the name of that guy when he plays tricks?

Pay your dues to Satan.
I had hoped to give some repair advice too, but you've got me stumped. You did what I would do.
Add pictures here
✖
wrote:>At the church, there is a 45 minute rated fire door, with

That's Satan, telling you he's there.
CY: I'm remembering the story of the little boy in sunday school. The teacher asks where God lives. Little boy raises his hand. Teacher calls on him. God lives in my house in the bathroom. Teacher is puzzled. Little boy explains that this morning, his Dad is banging on the door and hollering "My God! My God! Are you still in there!" And some what related to the story, the squeaky hinge at my church is on a bathroom door.

That's Satan playing tricks. What's the name of that guy when he plays tricks?
CY: Barry?

Pay your dues to Satan.
CY: Works for me. Shall I sacrifice virgins, or burn goats, or maybe the flaming cross with plenty of citronella oil on the parking lot of the church?
I had hoped to give some repair advice too, but you've got me stumped. You did what I would do.
CY: You want to bring a pentagram, and we'll have a seance?
Add pictures here
✖
On Mar 26, 7:38 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

After 20 years I found I was having to regularly(3 or 4 months) grease my front door hinges to keep them quiet. Solution was to replace the hinges.
Jimmie
Add pictures here
✖
That may end up being the solution. We'll see. Thanks for the field report.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Soundhaspriority wrote:

Fraud? Do you really expect God expects us to distinguish between a "miracle" and an entertainment magic show?
Consider Jesus. Jesus was who He was because of who He was and the miracles he performed mean nothing. First, He did nothing that hadn't been done before. For example, He fed the multitudes with a couple of fish and a few bread loaves. Moses fed 300,000 with stuff that dropped from the skys. Siegfried & Roy can feed a couple of thousand by passing out buffet tickets.
No, miracles don't prove squat. And anybody who relies on them as evidence of divinity has been fooled.
Add pictures here
✖
Now, that's a thoughtful reply. Not often seen (manners, and thought) on Usenet.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Thank you, but I put a lot of thought into all my replies.
Look! A squirrel!
That's the second metric squirrel today!
Add pictures here
✖
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Regarding "miracles," I refer you to Deuteronmy 13:1
(Paraphrasing) If someone makes a "miracle" and tells you to worship other gods, even if the miracle or sign comes true ... that prophet or dream-diviner shall be put to death...
Point is, it's what the dude SAYS that implies divine guidance, not what he DOES.
--- Aside
I consider myself a lay-expert on religion. Heck, I even translated the New Testament into Morse Code ("The translation for the scholar who has every other translation"). Regrettably, this work suffered the same fate as my previous book: "Toilet-Tissue Origami - The Ultimate Book for the John".
I believe publishers have no business sense. None at all.
But... what's art without suffering?
Add pictures here
✖
Lets see. A slam, then a lie, then an accusation, and then discouragement, and telling me not to try. Hmm. And, who do you sound like?
Who said "if thou be the Christ, throw yourself down"?
Answer: Satan, the deceiver. That's who you sound like.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Graphite.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Wax might be a better choice. Melt the wax, mix in some graphite, dip the disassembled hinge parts that have been cleaned (carb/brake cleaner) and dried, and then reassemble after cleaning the wax off the outside of the hinge.
That would probably be effective and long lasting, but messy.
You might do almost as well taking the hinges apart and smearing on some chap-stick with a q-tip.
--

Roger Shoaf

✖

Some heavy doors in the UK have tiny ball bearings in the hinges. Work wonderfully well until a ball gets chipped or the lubricant dries out. New hinge is the final solution.
Add pictures here
✖
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I use Industrial Chain Lube on stuff like that. Gunk L716 Liquid Wrench Industrial Chain Lube can be found at most auto parts stores, it's not for O-ring type bike chains there's another one for that purpose.
http://tinyurl.com/yeq6blc
TDD
Add pictures here
✖

Do it right, and you won't need to do it again for many years.
Take the door down, clean out the hinge leaves and pins. There may be some filthy particulate crud involved, so cover the floor/carpet. The cleaning part is important, that dry powder residue is very abrasive.
Plain old white grease is a fantastic lube for this application (and outdoor hinges as well). A small tube will do a lot of doors. Put a thin coat on the pins and hinge leave bores.. a swab works well for the bores. Don't neglect the top and bottom edges of the (thrust) load bearing leaves. Don't over do it, or it'll be messy later. Put it back together and thats it.
I once had a girlfriend who's front door hinges were so dry it was physically hard to move her door... noisy too.
Anyway, I offered to lube the door, and she accepted. I pulled it down and did the big number. There was probably a table spoon of dry rust spooge that came out of those massive hinges...
Shortly after she called demanding the squeaks back... complained she couldn't sleep fearing someone might now sneak in, and that light breezes blew the door around when she left it open.
You can't win... solved the 'new' problems with a bell and doorstop.
Erik
Add pictures here
✖
I believe you are exactly right. One day, I'll have to try the screws (metal jamb) and see if they want to come out. As intermediate answer, I'm going to see if the hinge pins come out, and dab in some grease.
I knew a watch repairman who found his squeaky hinge useful, as a door alert.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Another thought... could the 'groaning' you describe be coming from the closer? Can you disconnect it's linkage and operate independently of the door to test?
A good 'poor man's' stethoscope is to put a screwdriver blade up to the suspected noisy component, and while operating, put your ear up to the screwdriver handle. Use common sense and good judgment if listening to hazardous equipment this way.
Erik
Add pictures here
✖
It's very possible. I ought to try that. I did hold my head near the door, and from what I can tell, it's the center or lower hinge. I have dealt with squeaky and noisy door closers many times, over the years.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 19:38:13 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hmm, get something with a straight edge about the same height as the door - check the frame and hinges for alignment. Maybe something's shifted; you might be able to tell which hinge is squeaking* and shim it with a metal shim to bring it back into line.
* a long bit of rubber tube held up to the ear works well for detecting where noises are coming from, too...
cheers
Jules
Add pictures here
✖