Hinge squeak lube advice

Page 1 of 2

At the church, there is a 45 minute rated fire door, with closer and three hinges. Wood door. The hinges groan a bit, make some kind of noise while the door is closing.
I tried opening and closing the door, with my fingers lightly touchng the hinge, and can't tell which of the three is making the noise. So, on principle, I dosed all three hinges and the door closer pivots with WD-40, and that didn't seem to help much.
Today, several days later, I return to the building. Spray the hinges with brake cleaner, to flush out whatever old lube was there. And then, spray the hinges with LPS-1, leaving a non oily film. After the solvent flush, the hinges got noisier. And then the spray, and they went back to about the same noise level as when I started.
I havn't whacked the hinges with a hammer and screw driver to check for removable pins. If they were, I'd pack in some axle grease, and pound the pins back in.
What other ideas, for squeaky hinges? What works?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

First thing I'd suggest is pulling the pin on the closer, so you can push and pull the door yourself without closer assist. This action does two things: It eliminates the closer as a noise source, and it makes it easier to narrow down which hinge is making the noise.
If it is indeed a hinge that's making the noise, I find aerosol white grease to be very effective. WD-40 is **NOT** a lubricant, so don't expect any help from it! Plus WD-40 stinks.
Place the white-grease spray can nozzle directly on the hinge seams, and hold a paper towel over the nozzle before you fire. This will prevent the nozzle from spraying back into your face. You'll still have to wipe the door clean afterwards. Placing the nozzle directly on the seams helps the spray can inject the grease into the gap between hinge halves.
Aerosol white grease is available in any auto parts store.
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

I use Liquid Wrench Teflon lubricant spray.
How's that compare to the LPS #1 I tried earlier?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Another point: You'll find that if you study the hinge very carefully, you'll see that the gaps between the hinge segments are different.
The door-side rests on top of the frame-side, and they will have worn down together. This means that the /top/ of the /door-side/ segments will have a larger gap than the bottom. That larger gap is where you spray the white grease.
After spraying, it will take several openings and closings for the oil in the grease to migrate out of the grease and disperse through the hinge.
--
Tegger

Makes sense, to look for a wider gap. I'd not thought of that. But, it makes sense after reading it.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Can't say as I've heard of that. What is it, and where does one buy it?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

that lube into that "bearing" surface.

The bottom edge of the door is subject to splitting from the sharp end of the tool, hence the warning.
Something to protect the floor also would be a good idea.
--
Roger Shoaf

If knowledge is power, and power corrupts, what does this say about the
That's a good thought, to disconnect the closer. Have to take a better look at that.
I've already tried white lith spray, but not as agressively as you suggest.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

The point is to use the little nozzle hose to inject the white-grease spray into the hinge gaps as deeply and as copiously as you can. Give it time to get shoved into the gaps. Spray the hinge gaps with the door mostly open, and mostly closed. Do not be afraid to really soak it.
This does create backspray and mess on the door. That's why you hold a cloth or paper towel in front of the hinge so the backspray doesn't hit you in the face.
You can bracket the hinge with a sheet of newspaper held on by masking tape. This will minimize door cleanup afterwards.
I've had 100% success eliminating door hinge noise using this method.
--
Tegger

Somebody told you this and you believed him. But you and your informant are incorrect. A lubricant is something that lubricates i.e. reduces the friction between to separate sliding members.
If what you are trying to say is that WD40 is probably not the best choice of lubricant in many cases I will agree with you.
It might not last as long as other products, it might not smell as nice as other products, but it does in fact reduce friction, make slick and slippery that which was not so before, so therefore it is a lubricant.
It has the advantage of being cheap and available almost everywhere. It is easy to apply and seldom does harm when applied.
--
Roger Shoaf
Also lots of fun to spray over the top of a butane lighter.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Maybe it's a cryptic message from God...
I'll pray about it, and get back to you. It may be ushering in the new millenium? We can set up a shrine, and have the crying Blessed Mary statue, the potato chip with the head of Jesus, and the Mormon Moaning Hinge. You want to be my advertising director? We pay good wages, and take care of our people.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Slacker wrote:

Could be. My granny used to say something was "Noisier than the hinges on the gates of Hell."
I should call a priest!
(Oh... wait.... I *AM* a priest!)
--
Christopher A. Young