hinge pins

While repairing a pair of small, very old french doors, I lost two of the (4) hinge pins. The pins are 2 and 5/8" long and 15/64" in diameter. Does anyone know of a place where I can get replacements for these? The local Ace hardware didn't have them, so I probably need a specialty house.

TIA,

Harley Myler

Reply to
H. Myler

Did you try a French hardware store?

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

You could experiment with various sizes of nails. (Maybe even a long 3" bolt?) I've done that with interior door hinges but not with hinge pins that large, in my case 4 inch nails did OK. However it may be that no size of nail/bolt fits exactly and the hinges may be 'slack'. BTW 15/64" is just a shade under 1/4 inch? Pick up a bit of 1/4" stock rod at hardware store, if too tight stick a 3" piece in the electric drill and rub it down by 1/64th?Worth a try? Or run a 1/4" drill though the holes in the hinge tabs? To make a 'head' on the on a home manufactured pin like that you could 'peen' one end slightly over a 1/4 " washer held in the vise almost flush. If you can get brass rod it'd be that much easier?

Reply to
Terry

What you need is a machine shop. Take one of the pins you have left down to the local metalsmith, and he can turn out a couple new ones on a lathe for you. No idea what the price would be, but it is a simple job, especially if he has a lathe with a duplicating arm on it. If it is a full-service shop, they can even plate them in whatever color you need.

aem sends....

Reply to
ameijers

Someone named "Oscar_Lives" Proclaimed on Mon, 24 May 2004 23:59:54 GMT,

cute...

Reply to
G. Morgan

I've seen a good selection of different sizes in large hardware stores. Perhaps try a different store, maybe HD or Lowes?

Bob

Reply to
rck

Sounds metric. Make your own from 6mm screws or drill rod.

Richard J Kinch