High water usage?

Page 3 of 3

You could use that much, how many gallons does the toilet hold, how many times do you flush it a day, what is shower gpm, how long is your shower, what about washing dishes, laundry. Do you have an old style toilet plunger, they leak when old. Check your meter and see that it doesnt spin when no water is used and figure what you do use first, you will be suprised. I have a old sink that puts out 10gpm, and a shower that does 7-8 gpm and my toilet takes 5 gallons a flush I waste 50 gallons a day 1500 a month just flushing a toilet.
Davej wrote:

Your meter will show a leak however small it may be. Or meter is broke? Even small leak can be detected with an equipment(basically super sensitive microphone).

Really? A microphone? I checked the meter today (at the curb) with the house main shut off and it seems I have an outdoor leak of about 4 gallons per hour.

Actually it is more like a mechanics stethoscope than a microphone.

replace outdoor line with PEX immediately

The leak has to be downstream of the water meter in order for them to charge you.
Where is your water meter? Mine is in the basement and all the house plumbing attaches to it. The meter has a little wheel that spins like crazy when any water is being used.
Even if the meter is outdoors, there should only be a short pipe where it goes back into the ground and then through the wall into your basement. The leak would have to be there if it's not in your basement.
It will be very obvious if you look at the water meter while you're not using any water, and the little wheel is spinning. Something is using water if the little wheel is spinning.
Do you have underground pipes running to another building or an outdoor faucet? Turn off the shutoff valves to any outdoor faucets to eliminate those as possible leaks.
Plumbing is not rocket science.
On Jan 19, 9:34am, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

This is out in the suburbs where the meter is out in a hole near the curb. The buried 3/4" copper line then comes down and around the garage and into the side of the house. This is probably 100ft or more.
Davej wrote:

FWIW, a few years ago one of my trees managed to achieve a new source of irrigation by splitting the pipe (downstream of the meter) that runs from the curb to my house. My neighbor noticed HIS yard was getting soggy.