High water usage?

Page 1 of 3

Just got my water bill. It says 16500 gallons in 93 days. That is 177 gallons per day. I am beginning to wonder if that is possible. Every bill seems to show usage somewhat higher than the last one. I am not standing in the shower for an hour every morning. If there was a leak out in the yard wouldn't there be a soggy area? Thanks.

Not if your ground is porous enough. Pick a time when you don't need water, like overnight or when everyone is at work. Turn off the ice maker and anything else you have that might use water. Check the meter. Check it again at the end of the day or in the morning.
Davej wrote:

You have a leak. Just keep ignoring it, and pay the bill. Wait until you find a soggy area to do anything. Then pay that bill, and the following ones until the water pressure is insufficient to take a shower. Then call around and see if you can find someone to fix it.
Or, fix it before the multi-hundred dollar bills arrive. How many clues do you need?

99.9%, roughly, of unexplained water use is leaking toilets. drop some food colouring in the tank when you leave the house and see if the bowl is coloured when you get back.
Bet that shows you something.
Bob F wrote:

177 gal / day is certainly possible, and it may even be normal for a large family. I average about 50-55 gal / day for one person, a bit more in the summer with lawn watering and car washing.
I once had a 3/4" line blow after my meter and in about a day it dumped about 20,000 gal. It gave me a nice green strip of lawn and about $60 extra on that bill. Just a couple months ago a 4" main let go between my house and my neighbors and it created quite a lake before they got that section isolated.
wrote Re Re: High water usage?:

Interesting water useage statistics here:
http://www.ci.oswego.or.us/wtp/Percapitadailyusage.htm

Sure it is possible. Comes out to almost 65000gallons a year.
My family of 4 *averages* that over the last 10years-- but has used twice that one year when I had a construction project going on. We don't water lawns very often-- car washes are infrequent and only in summer. The laundry gets a workout-- and I just finished raising 2 kids. [well-- sort of finished. got some finishing touches to do, but otherwise their 'done'.

How many folks in your house? How long have you been there?

Where is your meter? Any buried leaks would not show on mine. The meter is in the basement & I don't have any irrigation lines.
Jim

Also check the pressure. If it went up, it could account for extra water being used.
A toilet with a leaky flap or fill valve can waste a few hundred gallons a day.
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Hnnn, Car wash on your drive way? It is illegal where I live.

-snip-
-snip-
Where's that? TWIAVBP.
Move to the NE US- we've got plenty of water in most communities. during drought years there are sometimes restrictions on *when* you can water your lawn, fill your pool, or wash your car. [they lump them all under 'outside use'.]
Still see businesses who have programmed their sprinklers to water every other day, 4-7AM, watering during a downpour.
Jim
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message > Car wash on your drive way? It is illegal where I live.
Why on earth is it illegal to wash your car in your own driveway? I'm glad I live in the boonies.
wrote Re High water usage?:

I seem to recall from research I did years ago that average *in-house* is about 100 gals/day/pers for washing, flushing, etc.
That's consistent with my own use.
How many people in your household?

Davej wrote the following:

According to my water softener, I use an average of 122 gallons a day. There are three of living here. 2 are women. 122 gals x 93 days would be 11345 gals..
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Is ALL your water softened? Around here most toilets use unsoftened water and often the cold water tap in the kitchen is unsoftened - as well as all outside taps. Wouls sure make up the difference in a hurry.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote the following:

Yes, my softener is the next appliance after the pressure tank for the well. My sillcock line and a filtered line for a kitchen sink drinking water faucet is tapped in between the pressure tank and the softener though, so that water would not be metered by the softener. I realize that some softeners are installed in the cold water inlet of the water heater, so only the hot water is softened, but mine is where the Culligan man installed it.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Our water is so hard we soften it right at the incoming pipe as close to the meter as we could get!. If we didn't soften the cold water every pipe and hose would get clogged tight with deposits in about a year. Our unsoftened water tastes fantastic, just VERY tough on the fixtures. We run the softened water through a filtered dispenser we keep in the fridge and that's what we drink.

Our water used to be some of the hardest in the country untill they started "artificial recharge" from the Grand River.
wrote in message

The town keeps saying they're going to soften the water from the reservoir "next year", but it hasn't happened yet and I've been here for 25 years.
Davej wrote:

When your house falls into a sink hole you will know where the water went.

I respectfully disagree to the posters saying "look for soggy ground and other "outside the home" ... Perhaps I am missing something here, but the water meter is read on the side of the house or in colder climates inside the house , generally basement... The owner of the home will pay based on what his meter is reading at the end of the month....So based on that a water main break outside the home wouldn't be read on the meter..... perhaps the OP could tell us in what location and proximity to the house his meter is? If the meter is 20 of 30 feet away from the home then yes these possibilities of him paying for a water break underground to the home is possible...If his meter is in the home then he is obviously using that amount of water. Another point is the meter may be old and could be running out of calibration. Lots of other points to think about besides looking for wet spots... Just my .02 cents worth... Jim