High-Speed Connection Questions

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 03:47:48 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

Of course, but most is not all, and people don't buy a PC special for DSL, and may have had it for years prior, and we're only talking about 4 or 5 words on a webpage, that they didn't put there.
When they give System Requirements, they should give all of them.
On Tue 22 Jul 2008 04:40:12p, mm told us...

Agreed, they should give all the requirements.
However, it isn't just DSL that requires a NIC card. DSL, Cable, and direct connection to a network all require the same kind of card. Except for direct network connection, both DSL and Cable service require a modem which then connects to the NIC card.
How many years do you mean? One of my PCs was purchased in 1998 and it came with NIC already installed as standard equipment. Every computer I've bought since then has also included one as standard.
--
Wayne Boatwright
On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 00:37:25 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

But not a telephone modem to a telephone line, and certainly last fall a lot of their new business was just that sort.

Actually, I assembled mine, and I put in a telephone modem.
When hardware is provided, like the dsl modem they included, they should say what port is needed on the computer.
They have a "kit", which is meant to replace a technician coming to your door. It should include or make reference to everything you need. I believe it said I had to have a computer, even though that would seem to go without saying.
mm wrote:

No, that requires a modem, either external or a card.

http://www22.verizon.com/content/consumerdsl/system+requirements/system+requirements.htm
Look under "other". Seems that _somebody_ didn't read the fine print.
--John
what a dope.
Short answers: Dial-up as a backup ISP connection - YES. In fact, Time-Warner Cable supplies a dialup connection as well as cable broadband as part of their package. The question to ask is - where do I get the list of dialup phone numbers. Broadband and dialup on the same PC at the same time - NOT RECOMMENDED even if it turns out to be possible. Here's why: Take your car and the engine that it received when it was built. Get a lawnmower engine and connect it to the same transmission in the car. Obviously a mismatch, right? You won't speed up the broadband. It will run no faster than the dialup. Got it?
On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 14:11:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.home (John) wrote:

HUH? Your dial up modem is just sitting there idle when you are on broadband, having no impact at all.
Tom Kendrick wrote:

No. Please explain what you mean. The OP had dialup in mind as a backup. He wasn't trying to speed up the broadband. And broadband surely WILL run faster than dialup.

On Jul 19, 10:11am, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.home (John) wrote:

It is possible to have both I do. And it is easy to hook up.