High-Speed Connection Questions

[snip]

I have cable internet now, but had everything already setup and just needed to move an ethernet cable and renew the address (DHCP). Of course that was after several hours of calls to ***** "customer service representatives" and a technician visit because they's lied to me about what modem I needed.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Including 3com, adobe, alabama, alive, aol, belsouth, borland, clari!!, corel, and all those national groups, aus, be, bermuda, chile, es, jp, il, uk (Oh, that's what regional refers to) and many others.

Incuding microsoft! I use them a lot too. There on the Erols server, no need to use the microsoft server.

That's way more than half of all ngs, including way more than half of what I use.

That's terrible.

Reply to
mm

On Sun 20 Jul 2008 02:34:30a, mm told us...

Verizon proably neglected to tell you this because most PCs are sold already containing a NIC (network interface card).

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I've got ATT DSL, formerly SWBT, SBC, etc. I had exactly what you describe for years until a bought a new computer without a modem. You will probably have at least one filter with 2 ports - 1 for phone and

1 for DSL. If not, use one of those 2-way splitters in the jack. Plug the DSL phone line into one side and plug the modem line into a filter and then into the other side. If it's like ATT, the installation CD is very good with pictures and all.

No hassle at all. What I did was run a separate line for DSL from the phone companies interface. I took apart the wall jack filter and wired it in to filter all phone lines in the house. Of course leaving the DSL line unfiltered. This may or may not be possible in your case.

Feel free to email me.

-- Herb snipped-for-privacy@herbstein.com

Reply to
Herb Stein

Of course, but most is not all, and people don't buy a PC special for DSL, and may have had it for years prior, and we're only talking about

4 or 5 words on a webpage, that they didn't put there.

When they give System Requirements, they should give all of them.

Reply to
mm

On Tue 22 Jul 2008 04:40:12p, mm told us...

Agreed, they should give all the requirements.

However, it isn't just DSL that requires a NIC card. DSL, Cable, and direct connection to a network all require the same kind of card. Except for direct network connection, both DSL and Cable service require a modem which then connects to the NIC card.

How many years do you mean? One of my PCs was purchased in 1998 and it came with NIC already installed as standard equipment. Every computer I've bought since then has also included one as standard.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

It is possible to have both I do. And it is easy to hook up.

Reply to
tmurf.1

But not a telephone modem to a telephone line, and certainly last fall a lot of their new business was just that sort.

Actually, I assembled mine, and I put in a telephone modem.

When hardware is provided, like the dsl modem they included, they should say what port is needed on the computer.

They have a "kit", which is meant to replace a technician coming to your door. It should include or make reference to everything you need. I believe it said I had to have a computer, even though that would seem to go without saying.

Reply to
mm

what a dope.

Reply to
Stephen King

No, that requires a modem, either external or a card.

Look under "other". Seems that _somebody_ didn't read the fine print.

Reply to
J. Clarke