High Pressure Sodium Lights wanted

About 27 years ago, I replace flood lights on my house with a high-pressure sodium light with a dusk to dawn sensor.

Great deal! traded 300 watts for 35 watts.

I started with two. But over the years one died. I had tried replacing bulb but no luck. So I did without.]

Now the last one died.

I hesitate to buy a bulb that may or may not work. So I am looking for a new fixture. But I am having a difficult time.

Does anyone know where I can get a 35-50w high pressure sodium light and fixture that has a dusk to dawn eye and can mount under my eaves.

Any help or leads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Where have you tried to buy replacements? What kinds of stores?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

i got mine at home depot.

there is an "ignitor" module in the case that has failed. Unfortunately, the best price I could ever find ($40) was more than what I paid for my fixtures at the box store. There is a trigger diode that "spikes" the transformer to create a high voltage pulse to get the lamp going that I've not be able to find at the electronic parts house. (Don, you have any part numbers handy? I have at least 6 fixtures that just need the diode- a high current diac of some sort)

-larry / dallas

Reply to
larry

The part your looking for is called a SIDAC...it's a bi-directional trigger diode. If your HPS fixture uses 55V (35-150W) lamps then you would need K1200E or equivalent 120v sidac. You can find these at mouser.

The datasheet that describes how SIDAC's function in a HPS ignitor circuit can be found at...

Also, Theres usually a resistor and inductor on the starter board check them with a ohmeter to make sure they are not fused open this is a commmon problem I find with some starters.

If you need any further help contact me via email: snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (remove "nospam" and replace with "yahoo")

Reply to
Ejohnson

Thanks! I have some repairs to do... yes, the resistor is open, and diode shorted on all the boards.

-larry / dallas

Reply to
larry

Reply to
hallerb

I have tried Home Depot and searched on Internet. The guy at Home Depot told me that they did not carry those anymore. They had a lot of Mercury Vapor but not HPS.

Searching on the internet, I seem to get lost in the various stores that offer lots of lighting but I cannot seem to zero in on what I am looking at.

I think I am suffering from two many options and not being savvy enough to sort through them.

Reply to
Joe

This is the only place I could find on the web that sells HPS flood lights dirt cheap, but only in 70W version...

or check on ebay for 35W ones. For some reason 35W hps fixtures and lamps are harder find than other wattages.

The easiest and least expensive thing to do is to repair the existing

35w flood lights yourself or give/send it to someone who can repair it. Judging by your description it sounds like a bad starter (three wire device may be a small can or circuit board)...easy to replace or repair.

So many HPS and pulse start metal halide fixtures get send to the scrap yard all the time bacause of faulty starters/ignitors.

Reply to
Ejohnson

I live in Virginia Beach. The fixtures I got from HD failed every few years. So I went to this dealer in specialty lighting and he sold me a fixture which I've had up their for an age. You might contact him:

Have you talked to these guys?

Roy Starrin