High-heat Paint for Stove Grills

I want to clean the grease from my stove grills that sit above the burners, and then apply a high-heat flat black paint.
The grills are cast iron and are flat black. First, what's the best thing to remove the grease. I've tried Simple Green, TSP, and and automitive degreaser, but they still feel greasy. Next, what temperature do these grills get heated to? I can purchase a high-heat automitive paint that is good for 1200 F, but I have no idea if this is high enough.
Thanks, Bruce

No paint will hold up on the grates. Best to oil them, season them, and let them be. Besides, you don't want paint chips on your food.
Before you cook, turn the burner on high and let it rip for 10 minutes and it will get rid of anything nasty, then just cook. Or clean them with heat after and they are ready for the next time you cook. So what if they feel greasy, they are sanitized.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

On 8/7/2005 2:09 PM US(ET), Edwin Pawlowski took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Put a layer of heavy aluminum foil on the grills and tuck it under the ends before turning the heat up high and it will turn the grease and crud into a light gray powder. The foil will keep the maximum amount of heat at the grill level.
--
Bill

Use a grill cleaner or oven cleaner to remove grease. Use rubber gloves, eye protection. Rustoleum makes a black BBQ paint. Follow the prep instructions carefully.
Bruce wrote:

I would just try and clean as much crud off as possible and stop at that. I would not want to use anything on them that I would not eat, and frankly I am not particularly fond of high temp paint. It is just below low cal food on my list.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 11:48:30 GMT, Joseph Meehan

You don't want to paint those.
First, check the manual for maintenance tips.
If they're REALLY cast iron, run them through a self-cleaning cycle in your oven. If they aren't, they'll be destroyed and you'll need to buy new ones, so Check the Manual.
Afterwards, wipe them down with canola oil and leave them in a 350 oven for an hour, then turn the oven off and let them cool before wiping off whatever oil remains.