high end wood replacement windows

Greetings. This subject (replacement windows) has come up many times on this newsgroup but I don't see many opinions expressed about some top of the line windows. I am looking for double hung wood replacement windows with good cladding.

Opinions on my comments?

The nicest ones I have seen have been the Marvin Windows. The cladding (aluminum) is well applied. Slightly less beefy is Weather Shield.

I'd put the Andersens a notch down, and the Pellas a hair below that. These brands seem to be primarily vinyl clad. The builders seem to like aluminum clad better. The seams on these windows aren't as neatly fused.

A little wimpier (and cheaper) is the Jeld-Wen Caradco.

I'm about ready to grit my teeth and splurge on the Marvin Windows. Ouch. I need 20. At least I'm helping the economy.

Other suggestions? Obviously the most important element is the installer. I have a good one (who prefers to stay out of the selecting - probably a very wise move).

Thanks.

Reply to
Power Cat

Consumer reports rated windows awhile ago.

Reply to
m Ransley

While you folks are commenting on preferred window choices, I would like to see some comments on Hurd windows too.

Thanks !!

--James--

Reply to
James Nipper

Have you checked out Pozzi? They are a very well made window for the money!

Reply to
Betsy

Not to detract from this thread but do all replacement windows have that 1 to 2 inch interior sealing piece at the lower sill. Seems all the replacements I have seen have this piece apparently to seal the lower edge of the window when closed. I will be looking for windows soon and this drives me bananas.

Thanks JRE

Reply to
Mastermech

Each type of cladding has tradeoffs. Aluminum cladding can dent and look shabby with very little abuse.

I think that the tradeoffs for aluminum vs. vinyl window cladding are the same as aluminum vs. vinyl siding. There's been lots of progress in vinyl compounds in the last 10 years. I think that today, vinyl clad windows are superior.

Reply to
Bubba Gump

Those are the windows that are in the frame.

The replacements I used are "sash kits" which are incredibly easy to install. They have vinyl spring loaded sashes that screw into the jamb, and then you load the sashes. Then reapply the stops, and voila, a lovely new window!

Reply to
Betsy

Also check your yellow pages under Windows-Wood. You may find a local factory or millwork shop that makes replacement windows of comparable quality to the national brands.

Reply to
Marilyn and Bob

And while we're on the subject, does anyone have any horror stories about Newpro Windows?

I'm going from the original wood single-pane to triple-pane on 40"w x 72"h opennings, and the cost is ludicrous no matter WHO I talk to..

--Goedjn

Reply to
default

Reply to
Power Cat

When faced with the same problem on my 42x72 windows I was apalled at the prices so I went dirt cheap instead....(it's a house, the taxes will drive me out in a few years, the value is pretty much related to the exorbitantly high local taxes, so I ultimately don't care)...it ended up costing me about $300 a window for vinyl double pane. They're crappy windows but they do the job.

Reply to
art

I'm almost embarrased to say, since the newpro windows I went with are costing me a bit over $1000 each, installed. I could have easily cut that in half by going with double-pane vinyl of triple, but I'm 10' from the main road through town, and have noise issues, and need something that will stand up to flung gravel from the snowplows.

I don't mind all that much paying extra for a high-end window, I just wanted to make one more check that these actually ARE high-end windows.

--Goedjn

Reply to
default

Any comments on Crestline windows?