High Efficiency water heater-- Need a chimney?

2 builders disagree... one says if I switch over to high effiency water heater I can vent out side wall.. and can do away with central chimney running up house. (already switched to HE furnace, it vents outside house, from what I am told it no longer uses chimney)

Other builder says he thinks chimney has to stay even if I go to HE water heater.

Makes a big difference in what we can do with remodel floor plan

Who is right?

Reply to
Jack

AFAIK, there is no HE electric water heater, so, you must be asking = about a gas fired HE. I have one like this and all it needs is a PVC = (?) pipe to the outside and a fan on the outlet.

I closed off my furnace flue when I redid the shingles.

--=20 PDQ

Reply to
PDQ

many but not all dont require a chimney.

do realize the thru the wall vent type dont heat in a power failure.you would need to add a big UPS. the hot water in the tank will remain hot till used but in a power faiure it wouldnt be replaced.

getting rid of the chimney is a good idea, elminates maintence on chimney and in cold climates does away with that BIG heat loss of the chimney drawing heated basement air out 24 / 7

Were planning on a new 90+ furnace and high efficency hot water tank with thru the wall vent hopefully this summer

Reply to
hallerb

The manufacturer's recommendations trump the builder. What do they say on the installation instructions?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Are you daft? Or just a troll?

You provide no information to help you.

As far as I am concerned your next post like this will get you to the block sender file.

Reply to
SQLit

There are two types--direct vent and power vent. The former, as its name suggests, vents directly to the outside via PVC pipe. There may or may not be a fan at the outlet. The distance from the water heater to the output is limited, usually not more than 4-6 feet, depending on local code. The latter type uses a fan mounted on top of the water heater, and also vents to the outside via PVC pipe. With power vent the run can be longer, but is also dictated by local code. There are also restrictions for both types as to where the vent is located. Where I live, in SE Wisconsin, it must be no closer than 4 feet from a window or door, for example. I don't see why you should be required to vent into a chimney.

Reply to
Raymond J. Johnson Jr.

I have a Ruud "direct vent" 50 gallon water heater which takes in inlet air and vents exhaust directly thru the wall and requires no electrical power for operation. This type has to be located within about 18" of an outside wall.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

Wow, you are a bit cranky.. 5 of 6 responders to my question were able to cull enough data out of my post to give thoughtful, and helpful answers. (it was a simple question really... do the make hot water heaters (implied gas) that operate without chimneys.) Thanks to them for the answer.. as to you, go take a nap... maybe you'll feel better in with some sleep..... Geeeeez

Reply to
Jack

Oh, sorry.. didn't answer your questions:

Yes, in fact I am bit daft... sort of "pleasantly demented"

No, I am not a Troll, although I know a guy named "troll" he is the athletic trainer down at the high school... very good guy.

Reply to
Jack

If you are using the original chimney that a gas furnace was disconnected from, then you absolutely MUST get a high efficiency gas water heater vented through the wall AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. If you read the furnace installation instructions, it should warn you about the possibility of your chimney falling apart. This is because now you don't have enough heat to keep it dry.

Reply to
Bob

while were at it a good source for high efficency tanks please////

a good friends tank is on the way out and nothing at home depot appeared real high efficency

Reply to
hallerb

by chimney I mean a metal tube running up & out the roof... not a masonary one. Would something like this be an issue with a metal "chimney" Maybe I am using the incorrect word, maybe a chimney is only supposed to be masonary... but this is in fact metal insulated ducting.

Reply to
Jack

They're commonly called a metal chimney or flue. A masonry chimney can fall apart if it isn't kept dry. An approved metal chimney should not fall apart, but there is a strong possibility of not having enough draft when a metal chimney is much larger than the water heater's vent pipe. Has anyone experienced headaches or been light-headed since the old furnace was disconnected?

Reply to
Bob

Bradford White "Through-the-wall gas water heater" is one brand name. There are two in my recently-built house one up and one down to minimize hot water waste though pipe runs. Both have worked without problems for 3+ years now and both have forced air vents through the house walls. One has an exhaust run of about 20 feet. The "Energy Guide" sticker that came on the heater says it uses 238 therms a year from a range of similar heaters that use from

220 to 288 therms/yr. They use house air and would be more efficient if they drew outside air; but I couldn't find a model that was designed for that at the time.

TKM

Reply to
TKM