High efficiency furnace - water out of outside pipe

Hi,

I recently had High Efficiency furnace installed (Carrier Infinity) and there were 2 PVC pipes put outside my house - one is for taking air into furnace and another one for air out of furnace. When furnace is working, my second pipe is spraying water out of it - not a lot, but still hand feels wet if you hold up to it. It seems kind of strange. Is that a good furnace installation? Should it be like that? If yes, then would it not freeze in the winter?

Thanks

Reply to
No

MLD

Our high-efficiency furnace develops an icicle stalagmite below the exhaust pipe in winter. We have to knock it down around February to prevent it from enveloping the pipe.

"No" ( snipped-for-privacy@No.com) writes:

-- "For it is only of the new one grows tired. Of the old one never tires."

-- Kierkegaard, _Repetition_

James Owens, Ottawa, Canada

Reply to
James Owens

This is Turtle.

The vapor being very moist is normal and is working fine. These vapors was at

2,000ºF when it was in the furnace but the furnace takes so much of the heat out of the vapors that it makes water drop out of the vapors and will be sometimes at about 80ºF or so.

Now i have rarely ever seen the vapor close off the pipe but have seen a good amount of ice from where they drip off the end of the pipe.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Dang Turtle, didn't know it got that cold down there in your area....;-). Yeah, the furnace seems to be fine. What you are seeing and/or feeling is normal as Turtle said.

Bobby

Reply to
BGBevill

Some water vapor is normal, you say spraying water though. Im sure Carrier can tell you how much is normal, an improperly angled exhaust is possible as is maybe [ Im guessing ] improper furnace angle for draining. My PVC exhaust does not freeze at - 20f and properly instaled they should rarely freeze. Im sure they are used where it gets to -60F. Water vapor is normal as 93% of the heat is removed and NG contains allot of water. That is why you cannot vent HE furnaces through an unlined chimney, water and acid will eat brick. If you really drip water it may be of concern. Check the level of the exhaust and call Carrier to see what they recommend and how to check things out. Your furnace drains water from combustion, check that also.

Reply to
m Ransley

This is Turtle.

Yea, We have a weather forcaster that has stated that we may get some ice in the water in the ditches along side the roads by Jan. or Feb.. It has been laterly getting in the 80's and 90's during the day and 70's at nite. Everybody will crank up there heating furnaces to see if the work a little before Christmas before the winter sets in. I try to get all my customers to do this at Thank Giving to be a head of the game.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE