High comfortable toilet

My mom is up in her 70s and with age constipation as the digestive tract dries out a bit. I want to put in a taller toilet bowl, so that she sits up higher, that it will assist in crapping process.
I would like to get one that flushes a full 5 gallons and that is handicapped heighth. What am I looking for, 18 inches? Will I have to buy this used or do they make decent toilets any longer?

Kohler Highline (a tall Wellworth model) is 16.5" high VS about 14" for normal toilets. Theyre ~ $ 147.50 at Lowes and HD in the USA. To get the 5 gal, you'd have to find a used older model which would prove tuff to do, or get one in Canada where they still sell them.
Not necessarily so. There are other options. First, hold the handle down. The 1.6 gallon flush is based on the flapper automatically closing with a flush. C'mon, measure the amount of water in the tank, and do the math. I just measured the inside of a 1.6 gallon toilet's tank. 17 inches across, 8 inches front to rear, and 9 inches from the flapper valve to the top of the overflow. 1224 cubic inches. That's 1224/231= 5.298 gallons.
And there are ways of having even more flush volume without going to Canada. Main is with an adapter that adapts the bolt pattern of an old tank to the spacing of a new commode. That adapter is about $5.

MilkyWhy wrote:

I suggest looking at the American Standard Cadet line. They have several that will do what you want and they are one of the best respected.
http://www.americanstandard-us.com/ProductNew.asp?prodID 92
Is one example.
In the US you will not find 5 gallon flush toilets, but the good news is you don't need to. Today there is no need to put up with poor flushing just because the toilet only uses 1.6 gallons. Well designed and made models don't cause problems. Cheap poorly designed and even expensive good looking expensive, poorly designed models are available and are what you will find in most new homes and often what you find in most DIY stores.
Fully glazed 2 inch or larger traps and other proper designs eliminate the problems.
You will find several higher seat models. (note toilets don't specify seat height they specify rim height. The 15" rim height will give you close to the 18" seat height you are looking for.
Another solution (not one I would choose) would be to mount the toilet on a raised platform.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

I respect my toilet too! I have a Ferguson Ultra, just like Al Bundy.

Other alternatives: 1. Plastic top seat approx. 5" high. My mother had one of these (in England.) 2. Sears sells an add-height module about 2.5" high that you fit between the floor and the main pedestal, easily installed. We put one in here a couple of years ago.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
Don Phillipson wrote:

I don't recommend those for reasons of hygeine. Unlike a higher toilet, the insert doesn't get internally rinsed when you flush.

This is a much better solution if you don't want to replace the toilet with a higher model.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
We replaced two of our toilets with American Standard "Champion" "Right-height" (ADA-approved) models, approx. $250 (bowl and tank, but excluding seat) at Lowe's or HD.
These have 1.6-gal. tanks, of course, but we have never had to flush more than once, unlike the old 5-gal. ones, which we replaced because they simply did not work well and wasted water. When the new ones are flushed, the "stuff" simply disappears with a "whoosh" -- and no, they are not pressurized, but the passageways are huge.
MB
On 08/30/04 02:18 am MilkyWhy put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

snipped-for-privacy@wmconnect.com (MilkyWhy) wrote in message

There are 'high-risers' (I think that is the generic term). Molded plastic things that fit on top of a standard toilet. I had to get one when I had hip surgery. Not exactly high decorative effect but functionally good. If she doesn't already have one, a hand bar to assist rising is also nice. I also had to mount one of them. Wish I had done it 40 years ago. They are -nice-.
Harry K
snipped-for-privacy@wmconnect.com (MilkyWhy) wrote in message

OOPS, forgot to add. The highrisers are available at medical supply stores. Hand bars at the same place (high price) or lumber yards.
Harry K

I would go to an medical supply store and get an padded seat riser. We bought one for our father after surgery. Bolts on to the bowl and is quite comfortable.
MilkyWhy wrote:

High rise toilet seat for US $25 at http://www.hometrendscatalog.com/quickorder.php/HT72557/45ba/0/2/3/301130
MI>My mom is up in her 70s and with age constipation as the digestive tract dri MI>out a bit. I want to put in a taller toilet bowl, so that she sits up higher MI>that it will assist in crapping process. I wonder if Mom has tried Metromucil or Fiberal. These are natural fiber products that assisted my family needs very well. (They should not be taken within two hours of taken any drugs, to avoid possible obsorption of same 8-(
MI>I would like to get one that flushes a full 5 gallons and that is handicappe MI>heighth. What am I looking for, 18 inches? Will I have to buy this used or d MI>they make decent toilets any longer? We saw many, many varities in the Home Depot Expo center yesteday. (Middlesex Mall in Burington if you are in the Boston area. If not check with you local Home Depot for one nearest you 8-)
Ciao, Ack.
--
SLMR 2.1a Remember to vote early (and often 8-) James M. Curley
* Origin: *Relaynet(tm) BBSNETS (#5647) BBS Networks @ www.bb (900:300/5647)