High Amperage Diodes

Got a battery charger. Puts out (or used to) 12 V or 6 V, and up to 50 volt boost. Diodes no longer have continuity in either direction.
Are replacement diodes available? Or just easier to pitch it and buy another charger?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Yes, and yes. For parts I shop at http://www.allelectronics.com
Thanks. Looks like a really great resource. They didn't seem to have any diodes with a high enough amperage.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

40 amp 600v isn't enough?
BB
Didn't see those. Do you have a part number for me?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comtosspam (Joe Bobst) wrote in message

Radio shack has some diodes that are high amp and may work depending on the form factor. In fact, they even had the full wave bridge rectifier that goes in my 6KW boat AC generator. It's worth a shot. The Onan part for the gen was $45. It was about $3 at Radio Shack.
weorjioweroklwenrklnklwe
Sorry, had to beat my head on the computer. I just scrapped an alternator which had good diodes. It had mechanical problems. I may also have a diode bridge or two from awhile back.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

The term now in the vocabulary is D' oh. Also known as a "homer moment". <G>
I had a 10A Batt charger diodes blow when I tried to charge the batt for a battery operated livestock fencer. I learned a hard lesson real quickly, to never connect a batt charger to a fencer thats turned on. The High voltage pulses worked backwards into the charger and knocked out the diodes in a split second. (take this as a warning for other farmers).
Anyhow, there is a local motor rebuilder in town. He also rebuilds car starters and alternators. Well, it turns out that alternator diodes are basically the same thing. The ones I got from him were well over rated for amperage for this 10A charger.
I think this is exactly what you need. Either find a local rebuilder, try your auto parts store, or rip apart an old car alternator from your local junk yard.
You might need to do a little mounting modification (I did). Be sure to apply silicone grease for heat conduction (sold at Radio Shack).
Let us know how this works !!!!
Mark
On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 18:13:55 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 16:17:43 GMT, "Stormin Mormon"

I think you meant 50 "AMP" boost !!!!!

You are right.
I have a farmer friend who used to use the boost setting for charging batteries. One time he wiggled a clamp, and blew up a battery. I've been calling it "12 volt blast" since then.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus