Hiding places

On a 60 Minutes type of show they had a mother on that lost one of her kids. She was taking them across the street, two houses up and got broadsided.

Putting on the belt has become a habit.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Likewise.

Usta never care. Then hadda minor accident. Slid on Winter ice into a tree at a mere 7-8 mph. I hadda belt on and wasn't even bruised, but my mom had taken hers off, it being so close to home and she being "uncomfortable". Well, she cracked her kneecap, costing my insurance $100K, and I coulda spent up to 18 mos in prison!! --I'm dead serious!-- fer reckless endangerment, even though I was unaware she had removed her belt. Now, that car does not move one silly millimeter unless EVERYONE is buckled up to near choke-to-death tight.

nb

-- Definition of objectivism: "Eff you! I got mine."

notbob

The edge we rented this summer had an interesting spin on this. The chimes kept increasing in frequency and then it turned off the radio. I could not over ride it from the dash computer.

Reply to
gfretwell

That would really piss me off. I know when I'm doing it and I'm doing it for good reason. I wouldn't have a wife who nagged and a car is far cheaper to get rid of.

Reply to
krw

You never know what the impact is going to do. Shorting a battery isn't difficult.

Reply to
krw

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

true story; co-worker was driving up I-65 in Indiana after a snow,saw a multi-car accident ahead,began slowing. He hit a patch of ice,spun 180,and was heading towards the pileup backwards. He manages to get the company car(stationwagon) stopped just before hitting the pile,turns back forward,and another car smashes into his front end,he ends up hitting his forehead on the windshield,hard enough to crack the windshield,giving him headaches and a sore neck for awhile.

He wore his seatbelt after that,always. that's when I began using it religiously,too.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

rote:

Because I have enough brains to know what is good for me and mine. Sorry about you.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I bought a 1959 Volvo that had the 3-point. Got used to them and wore belts ever since. Feel naked without them on. I was a county Sheriff's office dispatcher for 15 years. Almost always a fatality was a "belts not worn" case.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I had a fellow dispatcher who adamantly refused to wear them. Claimed he had been in a bad accident and didn't die because he was thrown clear. He died a few yeas after reitiring. Cause? Auto accident not wearing a belt.

I often wonder how many peopl'es last thought was "I wish I had buckled up".

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

No, you've been cowed.

Reply to
krw

In the late 1960's I was broadsided by a tractor trailer. Belts were only lap type and few cars had them. I walked away with a couple of bruises. Glad I had it on.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Sorry you don't care about yourself or your family (if you have one). I was wearint belts since 1959 when the weren't even an option in most makes.

Cowed? Hardly, Sensible? Yes. You? Stupid.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I was front passenger in a DeSoto(dates me,doesn't it?) that got broadsided by a 57 Cadillac limo,on MY side of the car,and there were no belts at that time. I saw the car coming,moved over a foot away from the door. the Caddy (with it's bullet-nosed bumper_crunched the car so bad the back seat buckled towards the roof and would have really hurt anyone back there. My door was right next to me after the crash,despite my moving over.The car was a total loss. I might have gotten hurt if I had been belted in. But that previous incident didn't change my view after the co-worker hit his windshield. I always use my seatbelt.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Hell, you can't even read, Harry! I never said I didn't wear them.

Reply to
krw

I knew two people that actually owned DeSotos. Both are long dead so yes, it does date you.

My uncle had a maroon 1949. That was before style was invented.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

What a moron you are. You keep claiming I am "cowed" how do you explain me wearing them years before there was any law requiring it?

Of course I recognized you and your trolling several replies ago, just kept stringing you along and yes I re I relized you never said you didn't wear them. I also note that you haven't said you do war them.

IOW you are too cowardly to be honest.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

according to Wiki,DeSotos were sold up to 1961. IIRC,the one I was in was a 1959 model(used),and the owner was my HS friend's dad.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

My '84 Lebaron would say things like, "Your door is open" or "Your windsheld wiper fluid is low" and turn off the radio sound while it was saying them. This would have been an incentive to fill my windshield washer fluid, but then it would say "All monitored systerms are functioning properly." Even if I went from Accessory to starting the car. Give me a break.

When I found the box, there was a swtich on it, to turn it off completely.

Reply to
micky

In 1984 that was amazing technology. It was probably rather nifty to listen to for the first two days. Then it would be annoying.

Now, I have conversations with my car. I can do a lot of phone, radio, navigation functions with voice commands. As I give a command, it asks me for the next step if there is one.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski