Hiding places

Page 6 of 6
On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 00:57:56 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I was specifically referring to "unlock from inside while in motion" but this is good information.

automatically.
On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 07:41:28 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

I have to take the door apart to add something. Now that you make the same point, maybe I'll look for whatever stops the inside door handle, and if it's not the same thing that stops the outside door handle, I'll defeat it.
The shop manual won't show it, i'm sure.

How would you like it to be powered if not by batteries?
Obviously you wouldn't want a corded remote, so that will have to use batteries.
As far as the lock itself, do you plan to run wires through the door slab (or - worse yet - surface mount them) to get power to the lock?
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 12:37:56 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

House current.

It wasn't just the remote. It was the door lock that used batteries.

Yes, drilling a hole through the slab, but I would need a lock mechanism designed to run on 110.
Alternatively, I'd like something like an apartment door buzzer. Where the mechanism is in the jamb. But I don't think they make one that isn't easy to kick in. With apartment lobbies it doesn't matter that much because if one waits long enough, someone will let a person in.
When I put my burglar alarm in, I put roller switches in the sliding door channels on the bottom, so that I could leave the door open a few inches without triggering the alarm. Then I, caught the wire when it was above the ceiling in the basement, and used a snake to pull it to the laundry room which has no ceiling. . Extra time spent up front and then testing but no maintence required for decades.
wrote in

it's dumb hiding your housekey under the truck carpet; if a service guy has to lift the carpet to access your spare tire,they'll find the key,and they have your address from your car registration. they can send a friend over while you're still in the shop waiting room.
if you have the car detailed,the guy will probably find the key.
but to really scare you,Google or Wiki search "bump key".
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Similar true situation:
My neighbors car window was broken into at her work. They stole only her garage door opener. They found her address from her registration. They drove to her house (in their own car), opened the garage door, drove in, and closed the garage door. They then burglarized her house, no hurry since everything looked ok from the outside, and she was at work still unaware of her car's broken window.
Apparently this is a well known method. Two precautions I now take. I keep the garage door opener out of plain sight. And I use a strategic rip though the numbers on my registration making my address unreadable. Hopefully hiding the opener will save me the broken car window, and if not at least they don't know where I live.

Can't remember the last time I had the spare out. Probably 20 years. As for detailing, I've been driving 50 years and never had it done.
Given the odds I'll continue to take the risk.

BTW, my '95 Lebaron had a valet key, but it was the same key on a slightly different blank. The regular key went in all four locks, but the valet key wouldn't go in the trunk or glove box. But all someone would have to do is copy the valet key to the other blank.
Toyota 2000 does it differently, both keys fit all locks, but the keys are cut differently, and if I do take my car in, I'll try to bring the valet key so no one can get in the turnk. There's a way to dsable the remote trunk release by turning the trunk key 90 degrees, and that will also work with the electric trunk release I'm installing this week. (Mechanical is no good with a convertible, because I park with the top down sometimes and someone can lean in and open the trunk.)
I also got myself a non-chip valet key, so I can play the radio with that key, and if I walk away for a few mnutes, a passerby can't start the engine and can't open the trunk. Not that anything like that has ever happened.

some maintenance checks require checking the spare's tire pressure. (a good idea,because they DO leak and a flat spare is useless. thus,a good mantenance guy will be going in there to check the spare.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I guess if you take your car to a thieving dealer they may do that. Aside from warranty work, no dealer has ever touched my cars and checks like that I do myself. The guy that does my regular oil changes does check the four tires, never checks the spare.
I will go to the dealer for my free oil change though.

you consider a dealer that actually does the service manual's required checks a "thief"? maybe you're buying cars from the wrong car companies.

BTW,I bought myself a MasterFlow MF-1040 12V air compressor,so I can inflate a low tire while away from home or gas station. living in an apartment,it's well worth it.I have no place to keep a 120VAC compressor,and no outlet close to the car to plug one in..
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Good point. I'll hide it in one of those hiding places that started the thread.
I never had a spare under the carpet before this year, but otoh, no one has been in my trunk for 10 or 20 years. Even when I buy a tire, I take it out of and put it in the trunk myself. I"m not sure why.
Also, I don't leave my car registration in the car, but if I go to a garage, they can probably get my address from my phone or because I give them my address. In some states they can get it from the state by asking about the license plate, but since that actress was murdered in California, some states have stopped that.
Despite all this, I'll hide it better. Thanks.

Yeah, I've heard about that. I don't think the guys who rob houses around here have, however.
On 08/20/2012 03:03 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

When I added a 120V outlet to my bathroom (wiring already in the wall) I made the hole on the wrong side of the stud. I put a box in and added a blank cover to make a hiding place.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
On 8/20/2012 3:03 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

I think I'll get a statue of a convict in a prison uniform and hide things up its butt, nobody would ever think of looking there. ^_^
TDD
On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 22:01:49 -0500, The Daring Dufas

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/florida/suspect-denies-owning-cocaine-his-butt
On 8/24/2012 10:17 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/florida/suspect-denies-owning-cocaine-his-butt
Honest officer, I don't know how that dope got up my butt! O_o
So now, if you get pulled over for speeding and the cop doesn't like what he smells, he will search your butt? O_o
TDD

Why not believe him? He looks like an honest guy and would not lie. He may have been sitting in the wrong place or at a bar and he thought the guy next to him was just fondling his ass.
These things happen don't they?
On 8/24/2012 10:17 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/florida/suspect-denies-owning-cocaine-his-butt
Check this out: O_o
http://community.nicic.gov/forums/t/39046.aspx
TDD

Pot? Yeah that is mine. Coke? No! That is not mine. Car keys?..........Yeah, those are mine. Have you seen a remote for the TV?