Hiding places

Why? They unlock too. I don't find it a problem either way. If you are in a bad area, locked doors can be a good thing.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I just don't want the doors locked. I can think of as many bad things it can cause as I can things it fixes.

If something happened where someone had to pull me out of the car, I certainly would not want them locked. If I think the doors should be locked I will lock them.

If we are going to be in a rental for our typical 2-3 weeks I go through the whole setup option array and make the car the way I like it. (turn off the horn beeping stuff, make the door clicker single press, turn off as many alarms as I can, turn off the entry light option and the delayed off headlights etc)

Reply to
gfretwell

I don't like the auto-locking. My '97 Lumina locks all doors as soon as you start it. The after-market alarm can be programmed otherwise, but my wife drives it mostly, so my son set it up that way, and I agree. I don't like the "trapped" feel, but at least there's still a mechanical unlock lever. The power windows bother me more when I think about being underwater in the crate. That was my uncle's reason for not wearing seatbelts. When they first got common I took him fishing in my '64 bug. My best friend had recently been killed when he flipped his '53 Pontiac on the DC beltway. Tossed out and the car rolled on him and cut off his legs. Three other guys in the car were only bruised. So I started using the belt. Felt better anyway after I got used to it. So I get into the bug with my uncle and fasten my belt. He actually got all apoplectic that I was so dumb. Said "What if you go in the river?!?!!! I either ignored him or told him to shut up, can't remember. One of cable shows did a piece a few years ago on how Floridians should attach a center punch to a string on the dash in case they end up in a canal. I vacation in canal land every year, and have thought about doing that. Never got around to it.

Reply to
Vic Smith

You can just turn it off? What kind of car?

On the 2000 Toyota, I had to find the key-in-the-lock connector, way under the dash and up, and disconnect it. But at least it's not still driving me insane;

Reply to
micky

The power windows should work for a while, even under water. I don't know how long a while is, or what it will be that stops them from working. What would?

Reply to
micky

[snip]

Right. At least it was harder for kids to steal the key.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

In my school the master key got loose. They never did figure out who had it but mysterious things happened to bully's lockers ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

:

Both of my last new fords (2005 and 2001) automatically lock when the car starts moving....hmmm. I never have tried to see if they will unlock from inside while in motion.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

So do I but I do it by buckling up.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Yes you can still hit the unlock button and unlock them. You can also turn off that feature.

Reply to
gfretwell

Fords. The chimes still go off at first but you can turn of the constant nagging. It's not easy but it's documented in the owner's manual.

Reply to
krw

I do usually, but not to move the car across the parking lot.

Reply to
krw

A shorted electrical system.

Reply to
krw

Fronts usually do, rears are often selectable via a switch in the door jam. It's a kiddie safety feature.

Reply to
krw

The trick to turn off the auto lock on Fords without the smart dash is;

Insert your key into the ignition. Turn the key to "On."

Press the "Unlock" button on the door panel three times. Turn the key to the "Off" position.

Press the "Unlock" button three times again.

Turn the key to the "On" position. Press the "Unlock" button one time.

Reply to
gfretwell

I was specifically referring to "unlock from inside while in motion" but this is good information.

Rear doors too? I'll try it on SWMBO's car tomorrow. Mine don't lock automatically.

Reply to
krw

e:

I got a warning when I moved my truck 1 block in town without buckling up. I'd rater takethe second or so and do rather than talk to the nice officer.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Because you're cowed doesn't mean everyone is.

Reply to
krw

That's good. Nothing like that for the 2000 Toyota.

I still have 3 or 4 chimes and that's fine. It's the nagging, especially when I wasn't even going anywhere

The 95 (and 88?) Lebaron had an obscure way to turn off the automatic door locking and unlocking. Pretty sure not in the owners manaual or shop manual, but on the yahoo list for Lebarons people knew about it (I'll read ng's and mail lists, but I wont' subscribe to a web forum)

Reply to
micky

Mere water, even river water, won't short the system like a copper wire would . Salt water would work faster, but I don't know how fast.

I've seen pictures of cars under water with their headlights still on , and seen a standard non-waterproof flashlight with C batteries under water. But he used it only a short time and then took it out of the water.

Reply to
micky