Hiding places

Page 5 of 6

Likewise.
Usta never care. Then hadda minor accident. Slid on Winter ice into a tree at a mere 7-8 mph. I hadda belt on and wasn't even bruised, but my mom had taken hers off, it being so close to home and she being "uncomfortable". Well, she cracked her kneecap, costing my insurance $100K, and I coulda spent up to 18 mos in prison!! --I'm dead serious!-- fer reckless endangerment, even though I was unaware she had removed her belt. Now, that car does not move one silly millimeter unless EVERYONE is buckled up to near choke-to-death tight.
nb
-- Definition of objectivism: "Eff you! I got mine." http://www.nongmoproject.org /

true story; co-worker was driving up I-65 in Indiana after a snow,saw a multi-car accident ahead,began slowing. He hit a patch of ice,spun 180,and was heading towards the pileup backwards. He manages to get the company car(stationwagon) stopped just before hitting the pile,turns back forward,and another car smashes into his front end,he ends up hitting his forehead on the windshield,hard enough to crack the windshield,giving him headaches and a sore neck for awhile.
He wore his seatbelt after that,always. that's when I began using it religiously,too.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I had a fellow dispatcher who adamantly refused to wear them. Claimed he had been in a bad accident and didn't die because he was thrown clear. He died a few yeas after reitiring. Cause? Auto accident not wearing a belt.
I often wonder how many peopl'es last thought was "I wish I had buckled up".
Harry K
On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 20:32:57 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

In the late 1960's I was broadsided by a tractor trailer. Belts were only lap type and few cars had them. I walked away with a couple of bruises. Glad I had it on.

I was front passenger in a DeSoto(dates me,doesn't it?) that got broadsided by a 57 Cadillac limo,on MY side of the car,and there were no belts at that time. I saw the car coming,moved over a foot away from the door. the Caddy (with it's bullet-nosed bumper_crunched the car so bad the back seat buckled towards the roof and would have really hurt anyone back there. My door was right next to me after the crash,despite my moving over.The car was a total loss. I might have gotten hurt if I had been belted in. But that previous incident didn't change my view after the co-worker hit his windshield. I always use my seatbelt.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I knew two people that actually owned DeSotos. Both are long dead so yes, it does date you.
My uncle had a maroon 1949. That was before style was invented.

according to Wiki,DeSotos were sold up to 1961. IIRC,the one I was in was a 1959 model(used),and the owner was my HS friend's dad.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I bought a 1959 Volvo that had the 3-point. Got used to them and wore belts ever since. Feel naked without them on. I was a county Sheriff's office dispatcher for 15 years. Almost always a fatality was a "belts not worn" case.
Harry K
On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 14:44:35 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Why? They unlock too. I don't find it a problem either way. If you are in a bad area, locked doors can be a good thing.

I just don't want the doors locked. I can think of as many bad things it can cause as I can things it fixes.
If something happened where someone had to pull me out of the car, I certainly would not want them locked. If I think the doors should be locked I will lock them.
If we are going to be in a rental for our typical 2-3 weeks I go through the whole setup option array and make the car the way I like it. (turn off the horn beeping stuff, make the door clicker single press, turn off as many alarms as I can, turn off the entry light option and the delayed off headlights etc)
On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 19:24:32 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I don't like the auto-locking. My '97 Lumina locks all doors as soon as you start it. The after-market alarm can be programmed otherwise, but my wife drives it mostly, so my son set it up that way, and I agree. I don't like the "trapped" feel, but at least there's still a mechanical unlock lever. The power windows bother me more when I think about being underwater in the crate. That was my uncle's reason for not wearing seatbelts. When they first got common I took him fishing in my '64 bug. My best friend had recently been killed when he flipped his '53 Pontiac on the DC beltway. Tossed out and the car rolled on him and cut off his legs. Three other guys in the car were only bruised. So I started using the belt. Felt better anyway after I got used to it. So I get into the bug with my uncle and fasten my belt. He actually got all apoplectic that I was so dumb. Said "What if you go in the river?!?!!! I either ignored him or told him to shut up, can't remember. One of cable shows did a piece a few years ago on how Floridians should attach a center punch to a string on the dash in case they end up in a canal. I vacation in canal land every year, and have thought about doing that. Never got around to it.
On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 19:28:38 -0500, Vic Smith

The power windows should work for a while, even under water. I don't know how long a while is, or what it will be that stops them from working. What would?

A shorted electrical system.
On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 00:36:00 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Mere water, even river water, won't short the system like a copper wire would . Salt water would work faster, but I don't know how fast.
I've seen pictures of cars under water with their headlights still on , and seen a standard non-waterproof flashlight with C batteries under water. But he used it only a short time and then took it out of the water.

You never know what the impact is going to do. Shorting a battery isn't difficult.

My wife's car locks the doors when it starts moving. My truck doesn't auto-lock the doors, at all.

Both of my last new fords (2005 and 2001) automatically lock when the car starts moving....hmmm. I never have tried to see if they will unlock from inside while in motion.
Harry K
On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 20:24:29 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

Yes you can still hit the unlock button and unlock them. You can also turn off that feature.

Fronts usually do, rears are often selectable via a switch in the door jam. It's a kiddie safety feature.
On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 00:37:46 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

The trick to turn off the auto lock on Fords without the smart dash is;
Insert your key into the ignition. Turn the key to "On."
Press the "Unlock" button on the door panel three times. Turn the key to the "Off" position.
Press the "Unlock" button three times again.
Turn the key to the "On" position. Press the "Unlock" button one time.