Hiding places

Fortunately, no. The car was still on the lot, now for sale, so I may swing buy and see if it is still in there. The dealer has photos of it on the web site and the truck has been cleaned and vacuumed though so the liner may have been taken out for that.

When I was dispatching for the county some 20years ago I had a call from a guy. He bought a used car and found a sawed off shotgun under the rear seat.
Harry K

The dealer probably won't find it, and the new owner won't find it for years and won't know who you are anyhow, right?
OTOH, if the car is still there, you could go look at it like a customer and take the key. It's worth 2 dollars these days. After you have the key, you can tell them you were the owner (when they are charging you with grand theft.)
And thanks, I had a house key in my last car's trunk, and I really should have hidden it. So now I know what to hide. Although I think under the turnk carpet will be good enough.
news:bcb738t0ftffrte2jev3b2famvdffcn7h8@ 4ax.com:

When we lived out in the country, we kept a spare key on the dog's collar.
On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:19:51 PM UTC-4, Doug Miller wrote:
I hid the key in a really good hiding place, then put an old, obsolete key in a fairly obvious hiding place. I figure that anyone finding the old key will try in in the door, see it doesn't work, and quit looking for more keys.
"Pavel314" wrote in message wrote in

I hid the key in a really good hiding place, then put an old, obsolete key in a fairly obvious hiding place. I figure that anyone finding the old key will try in in the door, see it doesn't work, and quit looking for more keys.
Now that is the best idea yet. WW

news:bcb738t0ftffrte2jev3b2famvdffcn7h8@ 4ax.com: > And thanks, I had a house key in my last car's trunk, and I really > should have hidden it. So now I know what to hide. Although I > think under the turnk carpet will be good enough. When we lived out in the country, we kept a spare key on the dog's collar.

fairly obvious hiding place. I figure that anyone finding the old key will try in in the door, see it doesn't work, and quit looking for more keys.
When I lived in Brooklyn, NY, I got a car with a burglar alarm**,
But for an extra measure of protection, I mounted a hood release handle in the grill or under the bumper with a cable that was meant to go to the hood release, but instead I connected it to a swtich that set off the burglar alarm. That was all it did.
Once I found the siren going, and my switch had fooled someone who left without opening the car, (or maybe it was just an accident when someone bumped the car while parking and set off my alarm via the mercury switches)
** and that pretty much ended break-ins, (Until I rented a spot in a lot that couldn't be seen from the street,.)
On 08/21/2012 02:30 PM, Pavel314 wrote:

news:bcb738t0ftffrte2jev3b2famvdffcn7h8@ 4ax.com: > And thanks, I had a house key in my last car's trunk, and I really > should have hidden it. So now I know what to hide. Although I > think under the turnk carpet will be good enough. When we lived out in the country, we kept a spare key on the dog's collar.

a fairly obvious hiding place. I figure that anyone finding the old key will try in in the door, see it doesn't work, and quit looking for more keys.

I did something like that with a keypad lock. On the paper that had the code on it, I drew a line through it (still leaving it readable) and wrote a fake code next to it.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

What did you do with the paper?

I'm sure that will totally bumfoozle anyone finding the paper. :)
Harry K
On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 18:52:30 -0700 (PDT), Harry K

news:bcb738t0ftffrte2jev3b2famvdffcn7h8@ 4ax.com: > And thanks, I had a house key in my last car's trunk, and I really > should have hidden it. So now I know what to hide. Although I > think under the turnk carpet will be good enough. When we lived out in the country, we kept a spare key on the dog's collar.

key in a fairly obvious hiding place. I figure that anyone finding the old key will try in in the door, see it doesn't work, and quit looking for more keys.

Engrave the combination on the back of the lock. Add 4 to each number. Or subtract 3 or subtract 5

news:bcb738t0ftffrte2jev3b2famvdffcn7h8@ 4ax.com: > And thanks, I had a house key in my last car's trunk, and I really > should have hidden it. So now I know what to hide. Although I > think under the turnk carpet will be good enough. When we lived out in the country, we kept a spare key on the dog's collar.

key in a fairly obvious hiding place. I figure that anyone finding the old key will try in in the door, see it doesn't work, and quit looking for more keys.

Or all of the above.
On Wednesday, August 22, 2012 10:49:54 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Or add/subtract the digits of pi, 3.141592....

news:bcb738t0ftffrte2jev3b2famvdffcn7h8@ 4ax.com: > And thanks, I had a house key in my last car's trunk, and I really > should have hidden it. So now I know what to hide. Although I > think under the turnk carpet will be good enough. When we lived out in the country, we kept a spare key on the dog's collar.

obsolete key in a fairly obvious hiding place. I figure that anyone finding the old key will try in in the door, see it doesn't work, and quit looking for more keys.

...or a little less obvious, e.
On Thursday, August 23, 2012 9:16:29 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:
Lloydhttp://notstupid.us "Ignorance is self-inflicted stupidity." -- Barry B. Longyear, The >> >> >>> > Tomorrow Testament >> >> >>> >> >> >>> What did you do with the paper? >> >> >> >> >> >>I'm sure that will totally bumfoozle anyone finding the paper. :) >> >> >> >> >> >>Harry K >> >> >Engrave the combination on the back of the lock. Add 4 to each >> >> >number. >> >> >Or subtract 3 >> >> >or subtract 5 >> >> >> >> Or all of the above. > >Or add/subtract the digits of pi, 3.141592.... ...or a little less obvious, e.
I thought I was the only math major in this group. ;-)
news:bcb738t0ftffrte2jev3b2famvdffcn7h8@ 4ax.com: > And thanks, I had a house key in my last car's trunk, and I really > should have hidden it. So now I know what to hide. Although I > think under the turnk carpet will be good enough. When we lived out in

hid the key in a really good hiding place, then put an old, obsolete key in a fairly obvious hiding place. I figure that anyone finding the old key will try in in the door, see it doesn't work, and quit looking for more keys. >> >> >>> >> >> >>> > I did something like that with a keypad lock. On the paper that had the >> >> >>> > code on it, I drew a line through it (still leaving it readable) and >> >> >>> > wrote a fake code next to it. >> >> >>> >> >> >>> > -- >> >> >>> > Mark Lloydhttp://notstupid.us "Ignorance is self-inflicted stupidity." -- Barry B. Longyear, The >> >> >>> > Tomorrow Testament >> >> >>> >> >> >>> What did you do with the paper? >> >> >> >> >> >>I'm sure that will totally bumfoozle anyone finding the paper. :) >> >> >> >> >> >>Harry K >> >> >Engrave the combination on the back of the lock. Add 4 to each >> >> >number. >> >> >Or subtract 3 >> >> >or subtract 5

I are a engineer. ;-)
On 08/22/2012 09:39 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

[snip]
I often use a XS3 (excess 3) code. It's very easy to encode. Just add 3 to each digit (IGNORE CARRIES). For example, to encode 3728:
3 + 3 = 6 7 + 3 = 0 (remember to ignore carries) 2 + 3 = 5 8 + 3 = 1 (remember you're ignoring carries)
the encoded number is then 6051.
Decoding:
6 - 3 = 3 0 - 3 = 7 (ignore carries again) 5 - 3 = 2 1 - 3 = 8 (still ignore the carry)
it's 3728.
With a little practice I could do this without writing down ANYTHING but the encoded number. The arithmetic is on individual digits only, so it's a lot simpler than ordinary addition / subtraction.
You could use hexadecimal, and then there's be no carries to deal with:
3 + 3 = 6 7 + 3 = A 2 + 3 = 5 8 + 3 = B
6 - 3 = 3 A - 3 = 7 5 - 3 = 2 B - 3 = 8
That could help confuse things, since 6A5B looks less like a number than 6051. In case you don't know hex A = 10, B = 11, C = 12.
BTW, thinking of hex, the TV series "Doctor Who" began in the year 7AB.
I've also done nines compliment, which is even easier. Subtract each digit from 9. For example, starting with 3728:
9 - 3 = 6 9 - 7 = 2 9 - 2 = 7 9 - 8 = 1
Decoding uses the same process:
9 - 6 = 3 9 - 2 = 7 9 - 7 = 2 9 - 1 = 8
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

Why not just write the number in hex? 3728 ends up being x'E90'. Let your average crack head make something out of that.
On Thursday, August 23, 2012 11:18:56 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
If you hide a key in a small space, put a large dead spider in front of it. That should discourage further exploration.

You could. The methods I showed were ones where the computation is VERY easy (my reason for working on only 1 digit at a time). This encoding/decoding can be done in real time, with no aids (like calculators), writing NOTHING but the result.
BTW, I like to use '$' to indicate hex, so 1963 = $7AB
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us