hidden deck fasteners

Today I will begin installing the joists for a deck so I am a couple weekens away from installing deck boards. I would like to get the group's opinion about hidden fastening systems. I will be using 5/4 treated pine decking on a deck that will be about 2 feet off the ground so I could get underneath if I had to. I have been looking at Dek Clip and Deck Master. Does anyone have any experience with these products? Gripes, praise, recommendations tips would be appreciated. Thanks Jackson

Reply to
JD

DEC-KLIP has been around for ~20 years, the fact that theyre still in business says something.

DECKMASTER system is a lLOT more involved but IMO would produce a much more securely fastened deck. Screws hold way better than nails

My opinion

Face nail; really fast but has exposed fasteners Face screw; not as fast but more secure, still has exposed fasteners DEC-KLIP, pretty fast, not as secure as screws, no exposed fasteners DECKMASTER; slowest system, most secure, no exposed fasteners

what would I use on a DIY project?

To help calibrate my opinion; I used 3" Stainless SMS to intall the the

2x2 cross members on my redwood patio cover (~12' x 25') . The timber was ~$2k so I figured WTF another $30 for screws is small price to pay for no rusted fasteners to help destroy the structure.

If I was building MY deck (or for a highend customer who understands & appreciates "better") I'd use the DECKMASTER system w/ stainless SMS either square drive head or hex washers head (www'mcmasgter.com) ~ $9/100ea.

The bitterness of low quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low cost has faded. :)

Cheers Bob (aka King of Overkill)

Reply to
BobK207

Last summer we had our large desk replaced with a new one also about

2' off the ground. It is large (aaprox 800+ SF) and entirely constructed of white cedar using concealed fasteners. The product we used were theres:

While NOT commenting on the exact product you inquired, at least this is a vote for concealed fasteners... definitely worth the price and labor differential.

Bob

Reply to
Bob_M

I did a 1000+ sqft deck using the deck master system with nexwood decking planks. Holds very well looks great, however, there are a lot of screws to install, so it was time consuming.

Reply to
steveki

So far as I'm concerned, concealed fasteners are the way to go. I've not used the ones you name but when I put up the little deck outside my bedroom I used Eb-Ty (

) fasteners to put down the synthetic planking over the pressure-treated framing. This deck is literally at ground level and there was no possibility of working from below. The job went quickly and precisely and the slight extra cost of using the concealed fasteners and stainless hardware was worth it.

Reply to
John McGaw

I have used deck clip hardware in the past and have never bee impressed, particularly not by the Simpson Strongtie clips Bob_ mentioned in his post.

The reason is that these type clips do not work well with bull nose decking nor with square edged lumber unless you can find perfectl square lumber which is not usually possible with most treated types.

Through surface fastening remains the best fastening method.

But if you insist on fastening from below, you can make your own hidde fastening methods that will work much better than most manifacture decks clips.

Such methods can include ripping a 1x1 piece of treated lumber that ca be fastened to the side of a joist and up through which a screw can b fastened from below.

Similalry, common angle brackets can work when fastened to the side o a joist and to the underside of the deck board.

Angle irons with pre drilled holes can also work well when fasten t the side of a deck joist and the to the bototm of deck planks.

Having built scores of decks thru the years, I would prefer my ow methods to the Simpson or other type deck fastening hardwares

-- manhattan4

this thread:
post was submitted via http://www.HomeRepairForums.or

Reply to
manhattan42

manhattan42, Why is through the deck a better fastening method than hidden methods? If I do go non-hidden I plan on using screws. What would you recommend? JD

"manhattan42" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.HomeRepairForums.org...

Reply to
JD