HF orange tip clamp question

I've got a couple of these, the ornage tips fall off easily, several are lost already.
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-ratcheting-bar-clampspreader-69222.html
How to keep the tips on? Epoxy? Gorilla glue?
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I wonder if silicone would be better. That retains some flexibility after it dries.
On 4/8/2015 8:43 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

GMTA... That was my first thought as well. "Silicone... a little dab will do you!"
It's a great sealant but I've found it to be a most excellent adhesive for a lot of little fixes and improvisations around the house.
Hey! How about going this one better?
A dab on either face of the clamp, then clamp a piece of waxed paper between them (perhaps smeared with a little Crisco or...) until you have a thickness you want and let it cure. Trim off any excess and...
Dean Hoffman wrote:

Shoe Goo , or it's equivalent Lexel clear caulking . Tough , remains flexible for life , and it's about the stickiest stuff I've ever seen .
--
Snag

You do realize that HF sells the tips sepaeratately in bags. Ivan Vegvary
On 4/8/2015 10:23 PM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

You might want to go, as I just did after reading your post, and re-read Stormin's original post and take a look at the clamps he's speaking of:
<http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-ratcheting-bar-clampspreader-69222.html> I thought that he was referring to the Jorgensen type bar/screw clamps that have the orange plastic tips that slip on over the metal clamp face. Apparently he is not.
AFAIK, Harbor Freight does NOT sell the plastic faces for their ratcheting bar clamps separately.
They do sell the orange tips for the bar/screw clamps and I was thinking that "true to form" HF screwed up something so simple - either by making the plastic cover oversized or having too much variance in the faces of their bar/screw clamps.
In any event, Stormin's looking for a glue to hold those faces in place and, again, I think those of us suggesting some silicone sealant applied in the logical spot will do the trick.

I'd never have thought of silicone caulk. Will have to see if I have a tube open, some where. Problem is that open tubes harden after a few months. They do sell small three or four ounce tubes at the store, might be worth it to adhere the tips on my bar clamps. Or, combine with some other project some day.
On 4/9/2015 6:40 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Color me cornfused, Stormy...
So which one DO you have? The larger pads as depicted on the item you linked to in your original post? Or the little ones that are about the diameter of a nickle or smaller that slip on (and off too easily <g>) as I originally thought?
With this most recent post, I suspect the latter.
If you have an old "hardened" tube of silicone laying about, you may still be in luck by cutting into the bottom of the tube before you pitch it. Might be just enough left to do the job.
OTOH check the automotive section of a Farm & Fleet or hardware store. Pretty sure PermaTex and others put out a little squeeze tube with 3oz or so

The ones (right behind me, still clamped to a drawer) are 1 1/2 inches wide, and 2 inches long. They are sort of horse shoe shaped.
The metal end of the clamp is 1 inch wide and 1 1/2 inches long.
Walmart has small tubes of silicone caulk.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

You got him at logical.
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

On 4/8/2015 11:23 PM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

with coupon and any purchase, so they will finally get some of my money. Thank you for the reminder.
Wonder if I can catch some orange tips on sale, and use a 20% off coupon....
Thank you for the reminder about orange tips sold separately.
On 04/08/2015 09:34 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

China Harbor Freight Quality Tools at Ridickerously Low Price 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed