HF multifunction tool - compatibility

I thought of getting one of those cheap ($ 19) Harbor Freight multi function tools. Don't really have any need for it, but they are cheap. This may be a solution that is waiting for a problem. Or, can anyone have too many tools?

It looks like multi-purpose tools are not standardized. Does anyone know if any other brands are compatible with HF tools? The accessory tools cost more than the multi-purpose tool itself.

Thanks

Reply to
walter

My multi function tool came with a belt sheath, and bit of warranty. I am not sure I'd want to put any other accessories on. I used the file a couple days ago, and sometimes I use the saw. Mine is a Leatherman Super. The wire cutters don't work right. I wonder if I oughta bought a Sog multifunction tool?

.

It looks like multi-purpose tools are not standardized. Does anyone know if any other brands are compatible with HF tools? The accessory tools cost more than the multi-purpose tool itself.

Thanks

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's all of the above. I have two multi-function tools (A Dremmel and a Bosch cordless) and use one of them on almost every project. Just because a tool is incredibly useful, doesn't mean that one can have too many tools, either.

They are not standardized. Other brands are comparable, however. I'll be damned if I can figure all of this out, though. Too many different ones.

Reply to
krw

In my personal experience, the more 'things' a tool does, the less 'things' it does well.

Holds largely true for people as well.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

I have one. Have used several times where no other tool would do the job. I agree the accessory tools are expensive, but got the job done quickly. WW

Reply to
WW

"John Grabowski" wrote in news:4f8c06dd$0$12835$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

OOH,that is good to know,thanks!

but the HF blades/accessories may be cheaper to buy than the other brands....

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I have the single speed unit that I'm hoping will break soon.

I want to buy the variable speed model but can't justify it, even though it's less than $40 with the coupon.

The single speed one has done everything I've asked it to, but there have certainly been times that I wished I could have slowed it down a bit.

Once you have one and have played with it, you'll be surprised how often you'll find uses for it.

I recently used mine to cut the plastic partitions out of an old DeWalt drill case to customize it for my brad nailer and accessories.

Spend the extra $20 and get the variable speed model.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Erik,

Do you know what a HF Multi-function tool is?

See here:

DerbyDad03

"Cheaper" in many ways.

Reply to
krw

If you buy it at HF, it's *not* a TOOL, it's a TOY. In other words, cheap imported junk..... And I'm sure they make their blades unique just to force you to keep coming back to their stores.

Reply to
tangerine3

When life comes to an end, the one with the most toys wins.

Sorry about you.

Reply to
HeyBub

Of course you're wrong (about everything above) but don't let that stop you.

Reply to
krw