HF multifunction tool - compatibility

I thought of getting one of those cheap ($ 19) Harbor Freight multi function tools. Don't really have any need for it, but they are cheap. This may be a solution that is waiting for a problem. Or, can anyone have too many tools?
It looks like multi-purpose tools are not standardized. Does anyone know if any other brands are compatible with HF tools? The accessory tools cost more than the multi-purpose tool itself.
Thanks
--
www.rationality.net

My multi function tool came with a belt sheath, and bit of warranty. I am not sure I'd want to put any other accessories on. I used the file a couple days ago, and sometimes I use the saw. Mine is a Leatherman Super. The wire cutters don't work right. I wonder if I oughta bought a Sog multifunction tool?
I thought of getting one of those cheap ($ 19) Harbor Freight multi function tools. Don't really have any need for it, but they are cheap. This may be a solution that is waiting for a problem. Or, can anyone have too many tools?
It looks like multi-purpose tools are not standardized. Does anyone know if any other brands are compatible with HF tools? The accessory tools cost more than the multi-purpose tool itself.
Thanks
--
www.rationality.net

It's all of the above. I have two multi-function tools (A Dremmel and a Bosch cordless) and use one of them on almost every project. Just because a tool is incredibly useful, doesn't mean that one can have too many tools, either.

They are not standardized. Other brands are comparable, however. I'll be damned if I can figure all of this out, though. Too many different ones.

In my personal experience, the more 'things' a tool does, the less 'things' it does well.
Holds largely true for people as well.
Erik

Erik,
Do you know what a HF Multi-function tool is?
See here:
http://www.harborfreight.com/oscillating-multifunction-power-tool-68303.html

I have one. Have used several times where no other tool would do the job. I agree the accessory tools are expensive, but got the job done quickly. WW

OOH,that is good to know,thanks!
but the HF blades/accessories may be cheaper to buy than the other brands....
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

"Cheaper" in many ways.

I have the single speed unit that I'm hoping will break soon.
I want to buy the variable speed model but can't justify it, even though it's less than $40 with the coupon.
The single speed one has done everything I've asked it to, but there have certainly been times that I wished I could have slowed it down a bit.
Once you have one and have played with it, you'll be surprised how often you'll find uses for it.
I recently used mine to cut the plastic partitions out of an old DeWalt drill case to customize it for my brad nailer and accessories.
Spend the extra $20 and get the variable speed model.

If you buy it at HF, it's *not* a TOOL, it's a TOY. In other words, cheap imported junk..... And I'm sure they make their blades unique just to force you to keep coming back to their stores.
snipped-for-privacy@toyotamail.com wrote:

When life comes to an end, the one with the most toys wins.
Sorry about you.
On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 03:02:34 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@toyotamail.com wrote:

Of course you're wrong (about everything above) but don't let that stop you.