HF Multi-Tool -- Another reason I didn't know I needed one.

Page 1 of 2
Broke down a month or two ago and bought their top of line multi-tool with no clear reason why I needed it. It is the kind of tool that you find good reasons for owning, as I have discovered several times since purchase.
We are building a garden shed with a 1' overhang and hand-cut rafters. I started boxing in the eves today. When I sighted down the horizontal row of rafters I noticed the dufis who cut them (me) had one hanging about 1/2" lower than the others. Moreover it cut was at an angle. I could see myself standing on my head on the ladder trying to cut it off with a hand saw. Then the light went on. Marked the cut line and ran the tools narrow wood blade into the side of the rafter a few times. In little more than one minute the wedge shaped chunk was laying on the ground.
Also used it to trim the sheet siding on one end where it overhung the adjoining side by about 1/4".
Love it.
RonB

Yep. Those oscillating tools are great. If Wiley Coyote had an Acme Oscillating Tool, he would have been having a nice roadrunner dinner in the first episode.

Yep-- the last time I reached for my cheapie version I wondered if Fein has actually increased sales since HF has been introducing all us cheap bastards to a really useful little tool. If I was 30 years younger I'd be ogling a Fein for when my HF bites the dust.
Jim

There's a lot of competition in the oscillating tool market. Everybody and their brother has come out with one. HF being the least expensive and the top of the line Fein Supercut at ~20x the cost of the HF being the most expensive.

RonB <=== Hooked for life
:-)

You bought the tool and then figured out what to do with it? Good work, that is a wise approach. I do it all the time. I still haven't found a way to convince SWMBO of this philosophy though. She normally needs a practical reason. But it's OK, I can normally BS one pretty quickly. A female interviewer was once explaining to me how her company tries to sell solutions rather than products, and to explain her point she said "it's like with Home Depot, people don't buy a drill because they want a drill - they do it because they want a hole". I managed to restrain myself from saying "er....well I just want a power tool, and I'll figure out what I'm going to do with it later".
cubby wrote:

Your female interviewer was a graduate of the Dale Carnegie Sales Course. That's one of their favorite illustrations.
Yours truly, Satisfied graduate
HeyBub wrote:

Oddly enough, I got married for the exact same reason as buying the drill.
--
Tony Sivori

Except if you got the right wife, you ackshooly got a three-fer, hole-wise.
--
EA

> --
Existential Angst wrote:

And I would have stayed married.
--
Tony Sivori

I hear dat.... :)
--
EA

> --

If you ever have to interview for a Sales position, you'd better know the correct answer to this question:
"What does Starbucks sell?"
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Good question. I don't know. Last time I ordered anything at Starbucks, I asked for Folger's Instant.
"Uh, we don't have that," said the lady with not much metal on her face.
"Then gimmie the closest thing you've got."
I ultimately got a cup of a dark, black, liquid. I still don't know what it was.

Was there a Jiffy Lube nearby?
Your reply was better.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I accept the prize but do want to share it with EA who I agree with on this noble occasion.
On 10/27/2010 7:19 PM, Red Green wrote:

(replying in original thread because I don't feel like repairing the latest Stormy-mangled post in the thread branch.)
Only time I go to Charbucks is when I am with somebody else and they insist on it. I find their coffees to taste burned, and their prices excessive for inferior product. Quite frankly, Dunkin'Donuts and even Mickey D's pour a better tasting cup. Pretentious yuppie twits.
--
aem sends...

That was probably drain cleaner.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

For sure would have tasted better than their..umm...coffee? Is that what that crud is supposed to be?
<snip>
Harry K
I do it all the time. I still haven't

After 43 years of marriage and several home projects including building our current home (ongoing effort), my wife is usually supportive. She is a farm girl, from very humble beginnings, who grew up in a family who figured out how to get things done.
Get this: After all of the mess, dust and work related to trimming our new home, she INSISTED I go to Springfield and pick up a new Grizzly dust collection system. If that ain't enough, she also insisted on replacing my old suitcase Ryobi surface planer with a new Grizzly 15" machine. The old planer was old, and took a pretty good beating in recent years. She decided "we" needed one.
She did this in spite of being fairly frugal.
RonB