HF freebie coupons

It seems like these things are in every magazine, newspaper, etc. So may, that I hardly look at them anymore.
But, chuckled at the latest "freebie":
Used to be "FREE" -- unconditional.
Then, "with ANY purchase" (i.e., even a sale item)
The batch I tossed out today was "with $4.99 minimum purchase".
I guess they're SLOW learners -- but *do* learn! :>
On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 12:38:27 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:

Off topic...and boring!

You can have the contents of my garbage can for FREE. They have about the same value as any of the garbage they sell at HF.
On 4/18/2016 1:51 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

When the same exact item has a different label at Home Depot is it still garbage?
HF has some garbage but they also have some decent stuff at a good price. You have to be careful
On 4/18/2016 2:25 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I have a *lot* of hand tools so rarely need a "real" tool from HF.
OTOH, I take advantage of the freebie scissors to keep a disposable pair hanging in the garage, ditto flashlights, tape rules, utility knife, tarps, etc.
Their utility knife BLADES seem to be reasonably *strong* -- but not well hardened (so I go through them much faster than a "name brand" blade). OTOH, they're dirt cheap and blades (in general) often "fail" in many applications for reasons other than sharpness; its nice to be able to use cheaper blades in those cases.
We did buy a "moving blanket" for SWMBO's vehicle -- for the inevitable times when we want to haul something that would end up marring the interior. At $6, it wasn't worth thinking about a "better value" (given how little use it will see)

They just want you to come into the store more often and that's what the freebies do. I love my HF weedburner, the battery-powered Dremel clone is small enough to fit in the electrical tool box (good for contact cleaning), the recip saw still works but only gets two or three outings a year these days. I can spend 100's per trip and if you know what you're buying, the savings can be great.
--
Bobby G.

On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 4:15:52 AM UTC-4, Robert Green wrote:

As with any other coupon, I use them when I go into a store for what I need. Rarely do I go into a store simply because I have a coupon. If I really want/need what is being discounted or given away and there is an expiration date to deal with, I *might* make a trip because of the coupon, but with a plan.
In those cases, especially when the coupon requires a purchase of some kind, I will pick a up a staple, i.e. something that I will need eventually anyway. For example, if I *really* want another HF tape measure, I'll swing by and pick up a box of vinyl or nitrile gloves, something that I know I will eventually run out of. By planning on purchasing a specific item and sticking to that plan, you avoid the impulse purchase, which is what they are trying to get you to do.
On 4/19/2016 8:41 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You know, now days using the n word is racist and insulting. The more modern term is Rubbero American.
Due to diversity, we need all kinds of gloves, not just nitrile, uh, I mean, Rubbero American gloves. We also need latex, leather, calf, kid, and so on.
Paraphrasing Dr. Laura Schlessinger "you stand around and listen to those gloves talk to each other. All you hear is nitrile, nitrile, nitrile."
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 4/19/2016 8:41 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I find it nearly impossible to get in and out of HF and stick only to my shopping list. What's not to love, about a solar powered rechargable gopher whacker, for 33% off? And those electric fly swatters (looks like a badminton racket) are just fun.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

<stuff snipped>

is

cleaning),

these

the

eventually

swing

will

sticking

trying

Yes, I should have been more specific. They don't want you to come to the store just for a freebie. They're hoping you will buy something on impulse. I just make sure if I am going I have one of their coupons with me to get a freebie. I give some of them away - I have at least 5 very nice tape measures I got for free. How many can one person use?
--
Bobby G.

On Wed, 20 Apr 2016 04:31:06 -0500, Robert Green

For me, one to use, one to lose. A lot of stuff isn't worth driving back for even if I remembered where I left it.

On 4/19/2016 3:57 AM, Robert Green wrote:

I buy China HF because I want to see how high the trade defecate will go before USA totally implodes.
I sleep better knowing my retirement portfolio will soon be owned by China.
<stuff snipped>

China.
What retirement portfolio? Your two coupons for free Big Macs and a your five dollar silver certificate at the bottom of your dresser drawer won't be in much danger.
--
Bobby G.

On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 5:25:17 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

+1
On 4/18/2016 10:38 AM, Don Y wrote:

Hmmm... latest ad is back to "with ANY purchase". Perhaps the $4.99 minimum wasn't very successful?