HF free flashlights

Has anyone noticed that they are now putting alkaline cells in the free flashlights? Instead of the heavy duty cells in the other two I have. That's nice.

I just hope they don't leak like the Thunderbolt brand they sell.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

My latest HF flyer doesn't have a free flashlight or any other goodie, the latest flyer has a "bar clamp " free with any purchase.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Hasn't yet happened in my market. Please weigh them on a scale, compared to known alkalines. I suspect they are just doing a clever packaging job. I suspect you're being given carbon zinc cells like usual.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Buy the Sunday paper. In the local rag and the statewide rag, most weeks, they have a coupon ad in the magazine insert, and another one in the coupon insert. I was mourning the end of the free flashlights myself, but the last batch I harvested, half the pages had the flashlights, with expire dates running into January.

I'm having trouble using up the ads before they expire- I can only go to HF so many times in a week. I haven't even done the online coupon bit since last winter. I think today's stop took me up to 31 of the flashlights.

Reply to
aemeijers

Women accessorize with a stick-on mustache?

Must suck to live in your neighborhood.

Reply to
HeyBub

Bought the 2pack of LED flashlights (sames as the freebie singles) with a coupon a couple weeks ago. Came with "Envopak" AAAs, whatever they are.

Reply to
Robert Neville

Robert Neville wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yes,that's what I got,and I was wrong,they still are carbon-zines. I saw an expiration date on the bottoms and I didn't recall seeing ex.dates on any CZ cells.

another indicator is that the alkaline cell bodies are magnetic,the CZ are not,just their ends.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Magnetic, good idea. The old carbon zincs, the zinc casing isn't magnetic. I usually tell by weight. Alkalines are heavier.

I've also found out that taking carbon zinc cells apart, releases the black, messy manganese dioxide. And makes my Mom yell at me. The carbon rod in the center is neat, for sidewalk chalk.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What's fun, is to look at the Harbor Freight UK web site. There, they sell UK sounding names like Sheffield, and bother. Can't think of the other. Cambridge? Coupons:

Astounding! I figured it was a Chinese front company. But....

Stormin Mormon

You are far too kind with your theory. Some bean counter is buying batteries for remotes. A month's batteries cost $100 to buy carbons, and $500 if they buy alkalines. So, they buy the carbons. Now, you really think that's cause they work better?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The most telling example of this syndrome was found in the novel "Cyberbook" by Ben Bova.

In that story, a bean-counter at a publishing house found that the company could save five cents per hundredweight on the glue used for paperback books. Unfortunately, the new glue broke down when exposed to temperatures in excess of ninety degrees, as it would in the back of a UPS truck, and caused all the pages to fall out. But that wasn't the worst part.

When the employees in the receiving department of the target bookstores opened the cartons, a mind-altering gas from the decomposition of the glue wafted out which, in turn, caused all the hippies to strip naked and run through the store shouting "French people are burning me with cigarettes!"

There is nothing scarier than a naked hippie!

Reply to
HeyBub

re: "There is nothing scarier than a naked hippie! "

I don't know...when I think back to (not) growing up in the '60's, I found naked hippies to more fun than scary. Mainly the female ones, of course.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Oh, I agree. But back then - after beatniks and before hippies - things were different. Just look, today, at one of the girls you admired back then.

I'll bet your standards have changed.

Reply to
HeyBub