HF compressor troubleshooting and repair

Page 1 of 2
I've got a 3 gal pancake compressor that rides with me in the van. Today I put on a tire that I'd bought at garage sale, and got the compressor out to air it up. The compressor normally goes up to 100 PSI and shuts off, today it runs up to 20 PSI.
So, I take the cover apart, and take the cylinder head off. Put in some new 10w30 oil, to relubricate the permanant lube bronze bushing. Well, we're up to 60 PSI, and I can reinflate the tire.
After a couple phone calls to friends, I finally find the problem which is.....
how many others had the same thing?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Filter?
On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 21:32:04 -0400, Stormin Mormon

The valves were all corroded and not sealing???
On 6/10/2014 10:01 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I'll post the answer later this evening. You've got analytical mind, too complicated.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 06/10/2014 09:32 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Why would you want to compress your McPancakes. I like my pancakes light and fluffy.
On 6/11/2014 4:46 AM, Jack Legg wrote:

But, three gal pancakes lasts several days.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Did it (a) switch off at 20 psi or (b)keep running?
If (a) Bad pressure shutoff switch.
If (b) Too many things wrong for me to guess.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
On 6/11/2014 6:09 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Kept running. In another hour or so, it will been 24 hours, and I'll post what I found.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 6/10/2014 9:32 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

In this case, the drain valve on bottom had gotten open most of a turn, and was leaking air. Once I figured that out, closed the valve and the unit runs perfectly again.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

That, at least, should have been a "no brainer" unless you are stone deaf.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Hi, I think he has ringing ear problem?, LOL!
On 6/11/2014 9:13 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Been wearing hearing aids since age 6.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hmm, Some one(may be you) drained the tank and forgot to close it? Do you have memory lapse problem lately?, LOL!
On 6/11/2014 11:49 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Memory problems. Like forgetting that the compressor "rides with me in the van" and gets roughly thrown in, and tumbled around when I hit the brakes? That kind of memory? Some people don't have reading comprehension.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I'm on my second HF tire inflator. It's about had it. It's the one with the dial. The hose is cracking, and the dial has the internal paper back that's bending almost hitting the pointer. Should I buy another ? So handy when it works.
Greg
On 6/13/2014 3:09 AM, gregz wrote:

Sounds like you got plenty of use and value. I'd watch for sales, and then use a 20% coupon. Yes, buy another.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Drained mine and found it really needed it. I leave my drain on the external regulator slightly open, so it automatically drains and releases all the pressure when I turn the compressor off. I can hear the hiss when compressor is off.
Greg

For less than the price of 3, you could have purchaced a good one that would still be working 10 years from now (assuming there is still a good one available in your market)
On Fri, 13 Jun 2014 07:21:57 -0400, Stormin Mormon

He's on his second in how many years??? May or may not have gotten value for his money.

I think I've got 3-4 years out of one.
I probably bought a HF air hose. It's orange. Holdin up, but the HF fittings are just ok. The orange hose is attached to my blue hose. I bought the blue hose at pace warehouse back in the 80s.
Greg