HF compressor troubleshooting and repair

I've got a 3 gal pancake compressor that rides with me in the van. Today I put on a tire that I'd bought at garage sale, and got the compressor out to air it up. The compressor normally goes up to 100 PSI and shuts off, today it runs up to 20 PSI.

So, I take the cover apart, and take the cylinder head off. Put in some new 10w30 oil, to relubricate the permanant lube bronze bushing. Well, we're up to 60 PSI, and I can reinflate the tire.

After a couple phone calls to friends, I finally find the problem which is.....

how many others had the same thing?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Filter?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The valves were all corroded and not sealing???

Reply to
clare

Why would you want to compress your McPancakes. I like my pancakes light and fluffy.

Reply to
Jack Legg

I'll post the answer later this evening. You've got analytical mind, too complicated.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

But, three gal pancakes lasts several days.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Did it (a) switch off at 20 psi or (b)keep running?

If (a) Bad pressure shutoff switch.

If (b) Too many things wrong for me to guess.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Kept running. In another hour or so, it will been

24 hours, and I'll post what I found.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In this case, the drain valve on bottom had gotten open most of a turn, and was leaking air. Once I figured that out, closed the valve and the unit runs perfectly again.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I was just going by my experience with another "el cheapo" compressor........

Reply to
clare

Is that the same as the one with the "firmest buns"??

Reply to
clare

Seriously, your real world experience is valuable. It could have easily been what you said. Most likely someone reading this list will find that useful.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

But the new consumer grade CH compressors are pretty much the same chinese crap that HF sells.

Reply to
clare

first was a '61 Morris Mini 850. Oldest was a '28 Chevy National

Reply to
clare

Finding one around here that will work with a quarter is a long shot. Some will accept 4 quarters - others require a "looney".

Reply to
clare

I get to use mine every once in a while. A couple friends have some oldies - Old VWs, '53 MG, Fiat 700, and the like.

Reply to
clare

That, at least, should have been a "no brainer" unless you are stone deaf.

Reply to
clare

Hi, It is pretty old one not Chinese made. It can drive 3/4" impact wrench w/o any problem. Inflate my truck tire within seconds.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hmm, Some one(may be you) drained the tank and forgot to close it? Do you have memory lapse problem lately?, LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, I think he has ringing ear problem?, LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang