HF 3 Stage Charger - thoughts?

Page 2 of 2

Red Green wrote:

This is a fairly good tutorial about charging car batteries.
http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery.html#9
I'd take a chance on this charger but I would also leave a volt meter on it and make sure the voltages are somewhere close to the above tutorial before I trusted it. 1.5 amps can indeed charge a completely charge a dead car battery, but it will take days to do it.
I used to go through a lot of batteries on my 2 1970 husky bolens garden tractors. They supposedly never had the best charging system. To make things worse, sometimes they sit for months at a time without being used. I put a similar charger on both of them and it's made a world of difference. Batteries that only lasted 2 years now are going on their 5th year and are still going strong.

I won't pick it apart line by line, but right off the bat it has glaring errors and omissions. One of the first things he says is that you won't find proper 3-stage chargers at Walmart or auto parts stores. That's just complete bullshit, leading me to immediately question if the writer knows anything at all, or if he is just making stuff up, or misquoting things he "heard somewhere"
I wouldn't call that a "fairly good tutorial" at all.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

It covers the basics for those who don't know the basics not going to deep to go over their heads. And yes, I bought one of my charger/maintainers at WalMart but they haven't had that or a similar unit in stock in the past 3 years. Three years with no battery maintainers. Maybe your walmart is different.

What good are "basics" if they are wrong?
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

OK, if you say so. Maybe you can write or suggest something better to read? I'd appreciate it, seriously!

At the bottom of that page is a link to batteryfaq.org, which is not perfect, but it's a lot more accurate.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Thanks!