Hey Philo

You seem to know a lot about computers ... I've got this olde dual core HP working as a source for the TV with one exception - I am having problems updating flash player . Downloads 50% of the install file an aborts . Had the same problems on more than one computer ... I'm not a big fan of Adobe , but flash is the format of a lot of the video I'd like to stream , and I'm being blocked because I don't have the newest version . Any suggestions for a workaround ? BTW , I welcome suggestions from anyone who has a solution . Criticism , not so much ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

If my 75yo father can use it (and loves it when compared with windows), anyone can. It supports flash (and HTML5 video) just fine; updates work well, and it's much less likely to acquire an infection and it works well on older hardware.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Problem with your ISP/internet connection?

It's a small file. Move it over on a thumb drive (from a machine that

*can* download it). Even if that means downloading it at a friend's home, public library, etc.
Reply to
Don Y

What OS? Updated to somewhere near current, versus 5 years out of date?

Did you try going into control panel, removing it, then doing an install?

Turned off antivirus during install? I've never had that be a problem, that I can recall anyway, but it's one of the suggestion if you're having trouble.

Reply to
trader_4

If it's an old machine with XP , does it have SP3 installed?

Are you downloading it here:

Possibly...uninstall it completely

reboot and try installing fresh

Also, which browser are you using,

it might work with Chrome

Reply to
philo

I've played with Ubuntu , and liked it . My wife on the other hand ... and she needs to be able to operate this system .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

It's not the small file , it's the main .exe install file that comes after . It stops at 50% ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Load the exe file directly. Don't let something ELSE pull down what you want/need. Look for a "network administrator install" (or "offline") version (i.e., the sort of thing an IT department would download ONCE and then install on hundreds of machines).

See

Reply to
Don Y

Cool , thanks for the link . I downloaded the version 18.something release and installed it . Unfortunately this hasn't helped ... OK , so everything says update to v21, but when I follow a link on the page your link went to it indicates that v21 is in beta testing ... and I just checked , the laptop is running v20. and it works just fine . Frustrating !

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Most of these things that you download a DOWNLOADER to access are also available in their "final" form -- but you have to look a bit harder to find them.

I tend to install things "offline" -- using one machine to find the REAL file and download it, then sneakernetting it to the actual target machine.

And, archiving a copy so I don't have to go hunting for it, again, at a later date (these things like to "disappear", over time).

Reply to
Don Y

Now really feel sheepish ... disabled the antivirus and all is well .

Reply to
Terry Coombs