Hey Philo

You seem to know a lot about computers ... I've got this olde dual core HP working as a source for the TV with one exception - I am having problems updating flash player . Downloads 50% of the install file an aborts . Had the same problems on more than one computer ... I'm not a big fan of Adobe , but flash is the format of a lot of the video I'd like to stream , and I'm being blocked because I don't have the newest version . Any suggestions for a workaround ? BTW , I welcome suggestions from anyone who has a solution . Criticism , not so much ...
--
Snag
Your last name isn't

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
If my 75yo father can use it (and loves it when compared with windows), anyone can. It supports flash (and HTML5 video) just fine; updates work well, and it's much less likely to acquire an infection and it works well on older hardware.
Scott Lurndal wrote:

I've played with Ubuntu , and liked it . My wife on the other hand ... and she needs to be able to operate this system .
--
Snag

On 3/16/2016 6:39 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Problem with your ISP/internet connection?
It's a small file. Move it over on a thumb drive (from a machine that *can* download it). Even if that means downloading it at a friend's home, public library, etc.

Don Y wrote:

It's not the small file , it's the main .exe install file that comes after . It stops at 50% ...
--
Snag

On 3/16/2016 11:57 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Load the exe file directly. Don't let something ELSE pull down what you want/need. Look for a "network administrator install" (or "offline") version (i.e., the sort of thing an IT department would download ONCE and then install on hundreds of machines).
See <https://forums.adobe.com/thread/889580
Don Y wrote:

Cool , thanks for the link . I downloaded the version 18.something release and installed it . Unfortunately this hasn't helped ... OK , so everything says update to v21, but when I follow a link on the page your link went to it indicates that v21 is in beta testing ... and I just checked , the laptop is running v20. and it works just fine . Frustrating !
--
Snag

On 3/16/2016 4:58 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Most of these things that you download a DOWNLOADER to access are also available in their "final" form -- but you have to look a bit harder to find them.
I tend to install things "offline" -- using one machine to find the REAL file and download it, then sneakernetting it to the actual target machine.
And, archiving a copy so I don't have to go hunting for it, again, at a later date (these things like to "disappear", over time).
On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 9:39:24 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:

What OS? Updated to somewhere near current, versus 5 years out of date?
Did you try going into control panel, removing it, then doing an install?
Turned off antivirus during install? I've never had that be a problem, that I can recall anyway, but it's one of the suggestion if you're having trouble.
On 03/16/2016 08:39 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

If it's an old machine with XP , does it have SP3 installed?
Are you downloading it here:
https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
Possibly...uninstall it completely
reboot and try installing fresh
Also, which browser are you using,
it might work with Chrome
Terry Coombs wrote:

Now really feel sheepish ... disabled the antivirus and all is well .
--
Snag