Hey, Lar, Need termite advice -

As someone who knows bugs, can you say a few words about the spray some new home builders are using - appears to be copper based?
Tom Baker
In article
snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net says... :) As someone who knows bugs, can you say a few words about the spray :) some new home builders are using - appears to be copper based? :) Guessing it may be Copper Naphthenate, which might be used instead of CCA (Copper, Chromates, Arsenic). Not really sure if it it directly effects insects or just a wood treatment to keep down moisture rot, which in turn could attract insects.
--
Neat site:
http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java/scienceopticsu/p
Tom Baker wrote:

I don't think Chlordane has been available almost forever....

I know it was available in the early 70's for sure but I don't recall when it was not after that. I'm sure someone else will recall when it was no longer made available to the general public.
It was banned in the US in the '78 for use on food and in '88 for termite control (http://www.epa.gov/opptintr/pbt/chlordane.htm).
But it's still widely used in other parts of the world.
Ed