Hey lady, your chimney needs repair.

And, which utility strike was this?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Gypsy.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

Good one! My first thought was for her to call the cops, but the guy had left.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My rule of thumb: if they're making the approach, they're not legit. Legit companies have enough business that they don't need to waste their time going door to door. That goes double if they're any good at what they do.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

I get spam telephone calls, every day. Same concept.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Different concept.

A legit, successful company may employ cold calling services, as well as run commercials on TV/radio. If they are trying to *grow* their business via advertising, that doesn't mean that they are not legit/successful.

Sending an employee door to door and handing out flyers could also be a "legit" form of advertising with the goal of growing the business.

Someone walking up and telling the owner that they need work done and that they can "do it today, for only $X" is a totally different story.

That would raise my suspicions for sure.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yep. Because legit companies honor the Do Not Call list; therefore, by definition, anyone cold-calling you in violation of the DNC is not legit.

Realistically, they fall into two groups:

  1. Actual (usually local) companies desperate enough for business that they're willing to break the law to try to get some. If they're that hard up, they're either no good at what they purport to do, or they're so close to failing that you wouldn't want to risk hiring them anyway. Besides, they broke the law calling you, and that tells you about their ethics.

  1. Crooks. This is by far the majority of DNC violators.

As for door-to-door cold calling, the success rate on a cost-per-hour basis has got to be way too low for most legit businesses. Nowadays, the vast majority of people don't even want to answer their door to a stranger, much less hire them to do work. It's probably no more successful than bandit signs.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan