hex nut grabber

Looking for something that may not exist, but I sure would like to find one.
I need a nut-grabber. This would allow me to get nuts way up inside something to get 'em started for bolt backup. It would have to give me just a little flexibility on placing the nut so the bolt can grab it.
If anyone knows where a neat device such as this is---please point me toward it!
Add pictures here
βœ–
rb wrote:

Here's one. They come in multiple sizes http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares.asp?MerchantID=RET01229&Action Κtalog&Type=Product&ID!116
Here's a flexible one: http://toolmonger.com/2006/07/29/flexible-grabber-tool /
Hope this gets you started.
Add pictures here
βœ–
rb wrote:

Here's what I've used for that purpose to handle small nuts in "unreachable" locations since G-d was a little boy.
Lay the nut on something solid, take an appropriate length of wire solder and place the last 1/4" or so of it over the hole in the nut. Then whack the solder with a hammer.
The solder will deform down into the threaded hole in the nut and grab it pretty firmly. You can bend the wire solder to whatever shape you need to get the nut to reach the end of the bolt and face it at the proper angle.
Once you get the first couple of screw threads started into the nut you can yank on the solder and it'll pull off.
Works for me....But I also have one and treasure of those long flexible grabbers to pick up stuff which "falls in the cracks."
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Can you reach it with your finger? If so,
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&pT669&cat=1,43456,43407
Add pictures here
βœ–

Scotch tape and long screwdriver.
Also works great for placing screws in awkward places, especially overhead when you wish you had three hands.
Add pictures here
βœ–
If you're just trying to get a nut started on a vertical bolt or stud and can't get it started because of the depth of the socket I can help you.
Put a second nut in the socket to move the intended nut that much closer to the bolt or stud. Once you have it started remove the unneeded nut from the socket and tighten to desired torque.
G.S

Add pictures here
βœ–

and use deep sockets.put some candlewax on the nut to keep it from falling out. Perhaps you could also use one of those pickup tools that have 3 spring- loaded fingers at the end of a cable;a "parts-grabber".
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
rb wrote:

--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

Add pictures here
βœ–
That just sounds painful. (especially the hex part)
Best regards, Bob
Add pictures here
βœ–

Nah, once they put a hex on your nuts you don't feel a thing.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Valuable in some situations is a magnet. There are all types of small & large diameter telescoping and flexible magnets available everywhere from Ace Hardware to Harbor Freight.
Haven't seen the infamous brass magnet yet but it must be out there. Heck, Ace even shows a Roach Magnet, Mosquito Magnet and, get this, an Odor Air Magnet. Surely they must have one that sticks to brass.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Auto techs for years have used a bit of a paper towel stuffed into a socket to hold the nut in place. Works like a charm, nothing to buy. HTH
Joe
Add pictures here
βœ–