Hex hammer bits?

I have in my possession an assortment of what looks like hammer drill or air hammer bits (chisel end, point end etc) that have hex shanks. The shanks are about 1/2" in diameter (I am going by memory). I have never seen a tool that would take such shanks, any idea what they are for?
I can take a picture if that would clarify anything.
There are numerous industrial grade power tools that use hex shank tooling. I have an old (maybe 1940s originally, possibly an earlier design) Black & Decker electric torque driver with adjustable torque limit, that's intended to drive hardware with sockets or other driver accessories (the hex shank adapts to 1/2" drive sockets).
Commercial grade, electric heavy duty hammer drills and industrial air hammers use hex shank chisels. This grade of power tools isn't intended to be marketed to homeowner/handy DIY types, they're designed for frequent heavy duty use.
I saw a Chinese set of hex shank chisels at a TSC store recently, so I wouldn't be surprised if HF and the other dealers are peddling hex drive look-alike power tools.
--
WB
metalworking projects

Those sound like standard bits for most of the smaller pneumatic hammers. Size usually given is ".401 dia". Like these at Enco:
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGEf7&PARTPG=INLMK3&PMITEM25-1161
Can't say for sure, always had the impression that these have a hex shank (shrug).
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

*I have an old rotary hammer with the Hitachi name on it that uses hex bits. I have seen this exact same rotary hammer for sale on ebay several times under different brands. I contacted Hitachi about it once and they had no idea what I was talking about. Somehow I found instructions for it online somewhere. Send me some pictures.
On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 09:56:04 -0500, Ignoramus18183

My oldish AEG rotary hammer uses tools with a hex shank. An eccentric pin in the hammer's socket loosely engages a shallow groove above the tool's hex to keep it from falling out.
--
Ned Simmons

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 09:56:04 -0500, Ignoramus18183

I would have said they were 3/4 from memory, but bosch's site says they are "1 1/8?"- fits this hammer- and others, I imagine. http://bosch.cpotools.com/hammers_and_hammer_drills/breaker_hammers/11335k.html
Picture's worth a thousand words- and a ruler wouldn't hurt, either.<g>
Jim