Here's where I am

Followup- Since I found out my gas line is 'retired', I am currenlty looking at getting an electric hot water heater, preheated by my tankless coil (useful in winter only (which is long in Maine). In 10 years when my oil furnace goes, I'll replace all of it with highly efficent gas everything. I just don't know if I can afford to replace my furnace, hot water system, and everything right now, even thought that might be a good option. Thanks again for everyone's help. If anyone has comment(s) on my plan, I would love to hear them. This forum is fantastic.
Thanks. -Nate
Nate wrote:

Thanks Bob. Glad to know the plan doesn't sound too off the wall.
An electric water will work but possibly triple your water heating bill and require an electrician to run 220 to an empty circuit, you do have one right, and a good main size. A new 83% Ng steam boiler will save you 15% on heating and you can find one with a internal WH coil. Will they even offer re-hookup in 10 yrs?
Is Ng cheaper per Btu than oil in your area, It is in mine by 20-25% Have you considered your boiler repairs and maintenance, If you don`t do maintenance you loose efficency and forget 70% , you could be at 60% or less now. You have alot of numbers to run on payback, instal, and costs of ng, vs oil, vs electric. You may find Ng the best option after all. most do. Don`t forget that boiler is almost 30

Sounds like a plan. If you do the work yourself, be sure to get that tempering valve question answered before you begin.
--
Peace,
BobJ