Here's where I am

Followup- Since I found out my gas line is 'retired', I am currenlty looking at getting an electric hot water heater, preheated by my tankless coil (useful in winter only (which is long in Maine). In 10 years when my oil furnace goes, I'll replace all of it with highly efficent gas everything. I just don't know if I can afford to replace my furnace, hot water system, and everything right now, even thought that might be a good option. Thanks again for everyone's help. If anyone has comment(s) on my plan, I would love to hear them. This forum is fantastic.

Thanks.

-Nate

Nate wrote:

Hi- > We just moved into our new 1940 era house. There is inadequate hot > water for our needs. We live in the northeast and have an oil fired > furnace with a steam heating system, radiators. The furnace is a > Peerless, circa 1977. Running through this boiler is a tankless coil > for 'instant' hot water. Everything works fine except the tankless coil > doesn't produce hot water fast enough to give a bath to my kids. > > So here are my options, as I see them. . . I don't mind paying more up > front if it means fuel savings down the road. > > 1. Irving (my oil supplier) wants to put in a 40 gallon indirect hot > water heater that would essentially be a new zone from my furnace . . > $2000, installed. > > 2. My local plumber also suggested putting in an indirect heated 40 > gallon hot water tank but suggested we use the existing coil running > thorough the boiler to heat the water. ... $1300 installed. > > 3. My friend, who is a plumber who lives in another state who I saw at > a conference this weekend suggested a sperate oil fired hot water > heater . . cost ????. > > 4. I was considering putting in a regular gas fired (like from home > depot) hot water heater myself. (we have a city natural gas line). And > I was also considering running the water through the coil in the boiler > to preheat it in the winter when the boiler's running anyway (not sure > if that would save money or not). > > Any advice greatly appreciated. Many thanks. -Nate Greene
Reply to
Nate

Thanks Bob. Glad to know the plan doesn't sound too off the wall.

Reply to
Nate

An electric water will work but possibly triple your water heating bill and require an electrician to run 220 to an empty circuit, you do have one right, and a good main size. A new 83% Ng steam boiler will save you 15% on heating and you can find one with a internal WH coil. Will they even offer re-hookup in 10 yrs?

Is Ng cheaper per Btu than oil in your area, It is in mine by 20-25% Have you considered your boiler repairs and maintenance, If you don`t do maintenance you loose efficency and forget 70% , you could be at 60% or less now. You have alot of numbers to run on payback, instal, and costs of ng, vs oil, vs electric. You may find Ng the best option after all. most do. Don`t forget that boiler is almost 30

Reply to
m Ransley

Sounds like a plan. If you do the work yourself, be sure to get that tempering valve question answered before you begin.

Reply to
Marilyn & Bob