Here's and Idea

Page 2 of 2
| In France we asked why they didn't think we were Americans and was told, | "you dress well, speak calmly, and don't bicker between you. American | couples are always bickering."
They probably tell that to all the Americans, in order to make them feel special so they'll leave a big tip. :)

Not usually, in northern France the waiters tended to not pursue a tip by displaying their famous 'attitude' of disdain.
Some were Taxi Drivers, who insisted on speeaking Russian to us. or, concierge personnel, or the best source - people one meets when out and about, on trains, or just out and about.