Helpful Hint - Credut/Debit Card Signature

Page 1 of 2
Ever notice how quickly the signature space on the back of your credit/debit card smears or fades beyond recognition, and how difficult it is to re-sign it? It usually happens because of moisture on the fingertips or natural skin oils.
A few months ago when I receivd a replacement card, I masked off everything but the are where the signature is signed. After signing it with a ball point pen, I sprayed two light coats of Krylon Matte Finish (suitable for plastic) over the siguature. The signature still looks like the day I signed it.
Other brands of similar sprays will certainly work, but it should be a matte finish (you can't tell it's there).
HTH

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I sign "ask for ID" on all my cards.
On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 16:41:58 -0500, leonard hofstadter

Same here but I use CHECK ID
If you put it on there with a Sharpie pen it won't rub off.
BTW only about half the people actually do ask and I think most of them, ask everyone for ID. That is getting standard here.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

It depends on the amount you charge. Buying a cup of coffee you just wave your card in front of electronic reader. My neighborhood super market doesn't bother you with purchase amount up to 75.00.
On Sun 24 Jul 2011 05:25:38p, Tony Hwang told us...

90% of the time I use my card with a PIN. The remaining 10% run the card as a credit. I am aware of the electronic readers that don't require a PIN or physically swiping the card through the machine, although I haven't seen any in my area as yet.

When I "sign" at the checkout in the supermarket on one of those horrid screens, there isn't a "signature" that resembles any previous ones, except in illegibility. No cashier has yet batted an eye. But maybe those screens are there only to make you stand still for the security camera ...
--
Best regards
Han

Yes and they have a picture of you actively engaging in forgery.
They actually catch a surprisingly large number of the people who use credit cards illegally.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in

Since I pay the cards off every month, my use can't be considered illegal. It's just that those screens on the little stands by the checkout won't let me easily write my signature.
--
Best regards
Han

I'm sorry I wasn't implying "you" were the criminal.
Just a poor choice of words.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in wrote:

Thanks!!
--
Best regards
Han

Have you ever got challenged because your card says "Not Valid Unless Signed"? Every card I have seen says that. It's the fine print near the signature panel.
I once had an A-Hole customer who was jerking me around. So when I looked at the back of the card (and this was for a trivial purchase) and saw that it was not signed I said to him "I'm sorry but ..."
Revenge they tell me is best served cold.
Charlie
On Sun 24 Jul 2011 02:38:32p, Red Green told us...

BTDT. Some point of sale checkers don't like the presence of tape on the card. I was actually refused once. The matte spray is completely invisible.

Shrug. Almost all the CC uses I do are POS terminals, and the card never leaves my hand. And at a restaurant, they print the receipt and give my card back before I sign it, so they never get a chance to do a comparison. I've never had a card refused or even challenged.
--
aem sends...

I had a card challenged at the local HomeDespot (a self-swipe system). The CC company must have been doing a random check. It's not happened since.
On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 20:10:53 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

The Lowes here checks ID on all card purchases, even debits. I guess they got stung too many times.,
On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 21:31:51 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

How do they deal with the self-checkout lanes?
On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 22:41:55 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

That store doesn't have them, probably for the same reason.

KMart is the only store here that asks for ID...and they want my email and cell #, too. They keep trying to make me decide to shop at wallyworld. I don't need to sign for cc purchases unless over $50, and one clerk told me that I could draw a smiley on the table in place of sig and it would go through :o)
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Interesting, the Lowes here doesn't. In fact, if you are using the self-check out, you input the last four digits yourself. Never have understood the reasoning behind that.

Thwarts skimmers?