Help with Window AC install

I just bought a used Window A/C unit for my son. I am looking for help in the installation. I have confirmed that the window opening is large enough. Are there any kits ? Or do I have to build one. I need some ideas before I start cutting or hammering.

Thanks.

Reply to
Okoidogo

You should not have to buy anything. Is there a frame around the front half with sides that expand? You set the unit in the window opening, close the window down and screw the sides into it to keep everything together. Close any opening between the windows with a piece of foam so bugs and bats cannot get in.

If that is not your situation, please describe what you have.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks Ed. The unit is a used unit and not very well looked after. The expanding sides were all broken and had to be removed. I had the unit on a bench and plugged in this afternoon. Found some noise coming from the compressor that goes away if the backend of the unit is raised to about 20 degrees above normal. Otherwise the unit cools

- well from what I could feel with my hands.

Reply to
Okoidogo

Leave the frames in place even if the panels are broken. Cut pieces of masonite or plywood to size to fill the openings.

Could be something loose inside if the noise goes away when tilted. Perhaps the fan is hitting something. Only way to tell is to remove the outer casing. I hope you didn't pay too much for it. Brand new bedroom sized ACs can be bought for less than $100.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

[snip]

Fix whatever's making that noise before installing, so the A/C can be installed with the back tilted slightly *down*. Installed flat, or worse with back tilted up, and you'll have water in the house.

As for the missing side panels, I believe I've seen generic replacement kits at the Despot, Wal-Wart and their ilk. Fome-Cor or rigid styrofoam sheet also work, as do Edwin's suggestions of masonite (aka hardboard) or plywood. Depending on the install and what I've got lying around, I often use one of these in addition to the side panels as they usually don't provide a good seal.

Reply to
Luke

Also, if air conditioner is large, it may need angle bracing from below.

Personally, I am always careful to make sure AC is securely mounted in the window (even if it requires some creative extra support), especially when the window is above the first floor level and when the unit is a 20K+ BTU monster. The idea of someone accidentally forcing open the window or shifting the ac so that it falls just scares the heck of out of me...

Reply to
blueman

Thanks all for your input. Here is an update:

I decided not to take a chance on the old unit and bought a brand new one - a 5600BTU that was on sale. I had it installed without too much of a problem. However, when I fired the unit up, I realized that the unit may be too small for the apartment. I accounted for the size of the living room - forgeting that the kichen, bathroom and bedroom are all part of the apartment. I went back to the store and they've ordered an 8000 BTU that is on back order. I will make the exchange after delivery of the 8000BTU unit next month.

The installation was not as difficult as I thought and your comments gave me moreconfidence to tackle the job.

Thanks guys!

Reply to
Okoidogo

What you need to do is get or build a tall stand to put a large floor fan on that will push the cool air to the other rooms. That will also result in the 5,600-Btu/hr unit to better heatload the evaporator coil resulting in more cooling. Without a circulation fan the 8,000-Btu/hr unit will get the room it is in too cold and will probably not effectively cool the other rooms.

I have a mere 6,000-Btu/hr room A/C that cools 950 sq ft that includes a hallway living room, dining room and kitchen. Even on 90-F plus days with relatively high humidity it will pull the temp to around 76-F and the humidity to 56% or lower!

Optimizing a Room Air Conditioner's EER and Btu/hr Performance Output

udarrell