help with uk central heating

I live in the US and am confused about how my mum's central heating system works. She lives in the UK. She has a gas boiler behind a gas fire in the living room. There are water tanks in the attic!!! In the airing cupboard there are switches, a timer and an electrical immersion heater. She is elderly and confused. I would really like to know how the system works and how it is controlled. In the summer we need only hot water for washing etc. In the winter we will need heat. Do we turn off the water supply to each radiator in the summer? There is also a thermostat in the hall. I am concerned because she can no longer live at home and we have to maintain minimal heat in the winter to prevent the pipes freezing. Up till now she has operated the system by some type of black magic and it all seems very complex to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Brian P.
--
Brian Pasby

Brian Pasby wrote:

<SNIP>