help with security light/voltmeter

Hi, There is a security motion sensor light on the end of the house that does not work. I'm going to replace the unit but cannot locate the correct breaker that controls the power to that light. I guess I could turn every breaker off, but I would like to know which one controls it. Since it does not work its hard to tell. How do you use a voltmeter to test such a thing without getting electrocuted? Its a standard security light with two floodlamps and a square sensor in the middle.

thx,

itchy

Reply to
itchyneebanshee

You can get an inductive tester for maybe 6$ you hold near the wires it will tell you if there is power. Did you try the light in test mode.

Reply to
m Ransley

Thanks I will look for one of these. I remember a maintenance fellow at work using one of these when the power went off. Didn't know what it was at the time however. Yes I switched the back switch to test mode but it did not help. I itchy

Reply to
itchyneebanshee