Help with security

Page 1 of 2

Hello again, This group has answered my questions before and I am sure it will again. This one is for my father however. In 1997, he built a house about 15 mins from where he is currently living. However, the house has still never been completed. No one has ever lived in it and has yet to have had the experience of being enjoyed. This may sound odd, which it is, but when money gets tight and the effort to continue becomes sparse, you get what I would call an abandoned house. Now to the point. Earlier this afternoon, I took a drive up to the house just to check up on the place and enjoy the day by the beach. As I approached the house, I noticed that all of the temporary window coverings that were in the windows had been removed. Thinking it was my father, I continued into the house without a second thought. I opened the door and walked into a war zone. Furniture had been tipped over, and damaged, boxes had been rummaged through, drawers were open, piles of wood were scattered everywhere, etc. I couldn't believe my eyes. The house, although not yet finished is stuffed full of furniture and boxes from 2 grandparents houses who have died. Everything was either touched, damaged or broken. They even had a dog with them, which left us a little present in the master bedroom. I know i'm going to get put through the ringer from people here saying that I should be there more often, etc etc, but with work and other commitments it honestly gets forgotten. The house does have a working motion senor light over the basement door, deadbolt locks on every single door, security tabs on every window which are activated and a large street light purposely installed right in front of the house. I have yet to discover a point of entry or a sign of how they are getting access to the house. No door was forced, no window broken, nothing. How hard is it to pick a lock? These locks are all Weisers and are all keyed so that each lock has a specific key, but then there is also a master which will open every door. The same thing happened last summer, minus the damage and that was when all the locks were installed.
Now finally my question. Does anyone know of any security camera that will only take videos if movement is detected? and if so, how do I get this set up so that it is wireless. I don't want to be pulling wires through this house. I also want a recorder to record any anything the camera may catch. Anyone know of anything that may help that is also budget friendly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Anyone wishing to comment negatively, can save it for another thread. Thanks in advance
Add pictures here
✖
camryguy wrote:

Here's a link to one of my suppliers:
http://www.supercircuits.com /
Many stand alone IP cameras and most DVR's Digital Video Recorders for security purposes have a motion detection option. Anything moving in a specific area or the whole field of view can be detected by the equipment, this saves space on the hard drive. Many DVR units and of course the IP cameras can be monitored via The Internet. I've had very good service from Supercircuits.
TDD
Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 19, 10:03 pm, The Daring Dufas <the-daring-

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a question regarding equipment like this.
I have a remote weekend place that does not have a phone line or any method to send a signal to a monitoring service. What I had hoped to find was a little device like a nanny-cam that would be motion activated and then record for 5-10 minutes to an internal card (or similar non-disc storage).
The intent is that if somebody breaks in when the camera is "waiting", it will record enough to identify and prosecute the perps. Of course I will need to hide it somewhere, so the lens will have to be small.
Ideas?
Add pictures here
✖
gwandsh wrote:

can figure a way to attach it to the house, and disguise what it is. (They are designed to strap around trees.) the house. Some even have an infrared flash built in. They take stills, though, not video.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
✖

I have one, its hidden in a appliance, www.supercircuts/com has them in radios, clocks, plants etc etc.
Add pictures here
✖

If nothing was broken to get entry someone has a key or knows how to pick locks. Did anybody ever get a key to work on the house, who installed the locks. What is an activated security tab on a window? A monitored alarm system is cheap , maybe 35$ a month and would have notified the police. New locks are a must, Medico are unpickable as are combination non electric pushbutton locks, I use both and the comibination locks can be purchased from about 120$ and up. www.supercurcuits.com sells just about everything to do with video surveylance and recording. So damage wasnt that bad , now upgrade, you can do locks and video recording this week if you get started now.
Add pictures here
✖
ransley wrote:

Almost all of the usual door locks can be "bumped". Never tried it, but it is not supposed to take much skill. Try "bumping" at Wikipedia for some initial information. One method that can reduce bumping is to cut one position on the key lower than the lowest standard cut. Alt.locksmithing has had some threads on resisting bumping.

Add pictures here
✖

Medico and button combination can`t be bumped.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 16:04:09 -0700 (PDT), ransley

Medico is a good key. Used in offices/ buildings. They have a special cut - three ways. Good for security and keeps the patients out of the medicine cabinet.
Corbin was another good brand office key.
Add pictures here
✖

Yep. Medico pins have to not only be the right height but the proper rotation to turn the cylinder.

Add pictures here
✖
On Apr 20, 11:36 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I think you mean Medeco locks...
They are good but not impenetrable...
~~ Evan
Add pictures here
✖

No lock is impenetrable, sure you can drill and saw and hammer, but its hardened brass, not HD quality stuff, but it cant be picked or bumped and has a real long hard bolt. To get past one takes alot of time.
Add pictures here
✖

Medeco, can't be bumped or picked ? LOL... If you know what you are doing you can read the lock with a variety of tools called 'Medecoders', and create your own bump key for that lock based on the angles used on the key cuts...
Medeco can also be picked, it just takes quite a bit longer to gain entry past a Medeco lock that it does an ordinary one...
Medeco locks are *MUCH* harder to drill than an ordinary lock as they are equipped with half-moon anti-drill plates inside front of the shell where the plug meets the shell and hardened anti-drill pins further back in the cylinder which will break your drill bit... This applies only to the rim and mortise cylinder type locks...
However, someone who really knows what they are doing can get past a Medeco lock cylinder with no problem...
In this situation it is more important for the OP to install an alarm system than it is for him to waste $300 per opening on Medeco locks only to find that next time the vandals have chosen to break in by means of smashing a window because of the new fancy locks installed on all the doors...
~~ Evan
Add pictures here
✖

Medico can be picked? by who, not my locksmith who is a pro. And how do you "get by " one. And in what amount of time.
Add pictures here
✖

The last one is easy. Break the window and crawl in.
Add pictures here
✖

Hey there,
I'm the inventor of the Medecoder tool(s) that was mentioned above. If you're interested in how they work, I've written up a page about it and how the company responded:
http://theamazingking.com/medecoder.html
I have met many many locksmiths that don't believe it until I pick one in front of them. I was also able to use the tool to open a classic, biaxial, and m3 in front of Medeco's director of research (he drove to my apartment). The good news is that the meeting we had led to them fixing the problem. Thus, the brand new Medecos pinned at the factory (or using new pin kits) are only slightly vulnerable to the attack. For picking times on the vulnerable locks (almost all of them still), I average around 2-5 minutes. Lemme know if you got any questions :-)
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 20:59:53 -0700 (PDT), jkthecjer

Question: Can you change the background (White) and the text (Black) on that web site?
Just and observation It makes me not want to read it with my aging eyes.
Thanks.
Add pictures here
✖

I found this little trick that can help (for any site with a bad color scheme like mine). Using the firefox browser, goto Tools->Options-

normal coloring. I tried to find a similar option in internet explorer, but failed; I'm sure there is a similar way to do it, though. So even if you decide not to check out that page, you now have a trick for other ugly web pages out there :-)
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 21:25:29 -0700 (PDT), jkthecjer

That worked in Firefox. Thanks.
Another site I've visited (blackviper.com) has a tab on his page, so the reader can change it right on site by a click. No wait. He changed it to white/black. The buttons are still there but seem to be disabled.
Add pictures here
✖

Correct myself :-/
The black/white buttons work in IE and is disabled in Firefox.
Add pictures here
✖