Help with old Thermostat

I took of my old Honeywell thermostat to replace it with a new setback thermostat. I found there are 5 wires total. 3 red, 1 white and 1 black. The white was on the "w" term. the black on the "b" term, 1 red on the "r" and the other two reds wires each connected to a "Tr" terminal. The Tr I'm pretty sure means transformer. The system is 24v, gas fired, hot water and about 50 years old.
How would these wires translate to the new setback thermostats? I think the white goes to "w", Black I guess is not connected, but how about the three red wires? None of the new thermostats seem to make provisions for three wires. Do they go to Rh and Rc and ?
Thanks in advance.
Did that new thermostat come with instructions? Is it designed for the type of wiring you have? Everyone I have seen is packaged with information on the outside about what type of systems it will work with and the instructions are very clear about what wires go where.
That is not to say yours is different, but I hope not. I would be very disappointed with any manufacturer who marked such a device without such detailed information.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Thanks for your response. Yes there are instructions. The part I'm baffled about is that they don't deal with 3 red wires. I even went to Home Depot and looked at the instructions of a couple other brands and couldn't find an answer. Any thoughts. Thanks.

Hi kmv, hope you are having a nice day
On 07-Nov-03 At About 18:39:40, kmv wrote to All Subject: Re: Help with old Thermostat
k> From: snipped-for-privacy@qwest.net (kmv)
k> Thanks for your response. Yes there are instructions. The part I'm k> baffled about is that they don't deal with 3 red wires. I even went k> to Home Depot and looked at the instructions of a couple other k> brands and couldn't find an answer. Any thoughts. Thanks.
You won't find an answer. they didn't use standard wiring or colors when it was put in. this is a problem that we sometimes run into. the only way is to call someone local to put it in for you.
-=> HvacTech2 <=-
.. Car phone answering machine: "Hi, I'm home right now..."- s.w.