Help with my kitchen ceiling - drywall repair question

Hi all, We live in a manufactured home. The ceiling is made out of this odd, funky paneled looking stuff. We dry-walled over it and we were quite happy with the results. This was 7 years ago. Then a little while ago we had a leak in the roof and as a result had to relocate a couple of recessed lighting canns. Now we have 2 of holes that need to be repaired in the ceiling. The area surrounding where the cans were is cracked as well.

I want to just to a clean cut out of a wide section, perhaps 18" x 30" but I don=92t want to cut through both layers of ceiling material, I only want to cut through the drywall portion.

How can I cut through the drywall on the ceiling without cutting through the ceiling material above it? Can I use a circular saw?

The area is over our kitchen sink, a rectangle about 18=94 x 30=94=85

Any ideas?

Reply to
bo

bo wrote: ...

You _never_ want to use a saw on sheetrock...try it once and you'll see why... :)

Just use a knife--ordinary utility knife will serve just fine.

--

Reply to
dpb

Thank you!

Reply to
bo

Try not to use a electric saw... you may cut a line or something. You could use a dry wall cutter saw, that should do the trick

Reply to
jaygoodenguy