Help with leaky shower faucets

Hello,

while I am quite at home in a materials synthesis laboratory, my experience and knowledge of every day technical jobs is quite deficient. However, I just purchased my first home and would like to address such deficiencies by handling small jobs myself. So, I have a leaky faucet in my shower and having never changed/installed new faucets I was hoping to get some advice. Thanks so much in advance.

Regards,

Adrian

Reply to
ATR

This probably isn't the advice you want, but do you own a yellow pages phone book? I'm asking for a good reason. Actually, an excellent reason.

And, is your faucet the single handle type, or separate knobs for hot & cold?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Suggest the same watch the pro do it or a good freind so you remember next time as water has a bad habit of leaking , if you are really set on it go to the local libray and study up about it , are they 1 or 2 handle cartridge or washers or ball system ,what brand can you tell .

Reply to
jim

Suggest the same watch the pro do it or a good freind so you remember next time as water has a bad habit of leaking , if you are really set on it go to the local libray and study up about it , are they 1 or 2 handle cartridge or washers or ball system ,what brand can you tell .

===================

I was going to suggest that he take off the handle of either kind, photograph what he finds, and bring the photo (or the camera) to a real hardware store or real plumbing store. The problem for many people seems to involve FINDING these stores, since everyone seems blinded by HD & Lowe's neon.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

When I bought my first home, I bought a Stanley Home Repair book. It's a treasure trove of small jobs. It covers many different types of faucets.

I have a dripping shower faucet too. Problem is, there's no shutoff valve...I have to shut down the water main, and just haven't gotten around to fixing it.

One good thing my dad taught me: always start plumbing jobs in the morning so that you have plenty of time to make several trips to the hardware store. :)

Reply to
Mitch

Leaky shower *faucet* or leaky shower *head*?

In other words, is it the thing that the water comes out of that you shower with? If so, that's the shower head. (I've never heard of a "shower faucet", personally, so I suspect you're talking about the shower head. Unless you mean the bath faucet.)

The difference is important because one is kind of tricky to fix if you don't know how, whereas the other is almost too easy. If you want to keep the shower head, then you probably just need to unscrew it, get some of that white plumber's tape and wrap it around the threads on the pipe, then rescrew the shower head back on. If that doesn't work, just buy another shower head and replace it. They're not expensive unless you've got a really high end bathroom.

If the bath faucet is the problem, I'm probably not gonna be much help.

- Jeff

Reply to
basscadet75

Yeah it is not the shower head, but the bath faucets. There are three faucets - hot, cold and shower. Thanks for the help, I guess I will just call up a plumber and take some notes.

Thanks for the responses.

Reply to
ATR

Why call a plumber? I gave you a perfect solution earlier, involving a camera and a trip to a real hardware store. You can probably fix this for under ten bucks in parts. Tools are another story, but they are never included in the budget, much like the war in Iraq.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom