Help with install of water softener

My contractor is installing a Whirlpool 40g water softener and the main valve is leaking. I noticed the in and out on the bypass valve is reversed (city water is going in the Out of the valve, and the house is going to the In). He said that should not matter as the pressure should still be going to the home. The manual also noted this is something that needs to be done correctly.
Any advice?
Thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

interchangeable. By reversing the connections he may have damaged the softener by washing some of the ion exchange resin out...depends on the specific design.

If it didn't matter WHY WOULD THEY BE LABELED IN / OUT? That installer would be getting an earfull from me......
If he doesn't come back and redo it and make sure it worked ok I would report that person to whoever he worked for. Just mho. Steve

The brand has a top basket. Otherwise the resin would be in the plumbing which is an expensive and huge problem. With city water pressure, the control valve could be damaged already and IMO it should be replaced. The softener can not regenerate with the in/out reversed so the soft water will stop fairly soon and it will allow hard water through the softener. The control is easy to replace and only takes 15 minutes.
By pass the softener and insist on them fixing the plumbing and checking the control valve or replace the disk and gasket or the whole control valve.
Gary Slusser Quality Water Associates
Boden wrote:

The OP said "the bypass valve is reversed". He didn't say whether the softener was reversed. If it is just the bypass valve, I don't see any problem, although it is a bit shoddy. If the softener is reversed, that is not going to work.
OP: which is it?