Help with estimate?

I've been asked to add a shower to a half bath in a business. The toilet, sink, and shower will share the same wall, the "wet wall". The shower will be a one-piece shell, placed in one corner of the bathroom, which requires moving the sink closer to the toilet (and all the plumbing relocation that entails) and building a stud wall to enclose the shower stall and a 2x6 frame pedestal to set it on so as to allow plumbing above the slab floor (the drain is in the wall directly behind the shower location -- lucky me!). Then sheet rock the stud wall and trim the shower and new wall with FRP.

How long would you expect this to take? My guess is about 10 days, as I'm not a professional.

But as to charging (just labor -- they will supply a CC for supplies), I can't charge for all the time it would take me; that wouldn't be fair. How long would you expect this to take a pro?

If you'd like to just throw out an ball-park $ estimate and/or give an time estimate and what the going hourly rate is in your area, or any of the above, it would help me rough up a figure.

Thanks for your help,

Reply to
John E.

I could give you an estimate but it will cost you $300 for it. are you willing to spend the money?

2x6 frame | pedestal to set it on so as to allow plumbing above the slab floor (the drain | is in the wall directly behind the shower location -- lucky me!). Then sheet | rock the stud wall and trim the shower and new wall with FRP. | | How long would you expect this to take? My guess is about 10 days, as I'm not | a professional. | | But as to charging (just labor -- they will supply a CC for supplies), I | can't charge for all the time it would take me; that wouldn't be fair. How | long would you expect this to take a pro? | | If you'd like to just throw out an ball-park $ estimate and/or give an time | estimate and what the going hourly rate is in your area, or any of the above, | it would help me rough up a figure. | | Thanks for your help, | -- | John English |
Reply to
wildo

Sit down with pad and pencil in a quiet place. Break it down into steps. Assign a number of hours to each step. Add the cost of the materials and supplies you will use. Get a grand total. Add 20%.

If you can't do this, you shouldn't be messing with other people's stuff. If you can't do simple estimation and job analysis, how are you going to figure out cut lines and basic job math?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Since your not a professional, and you cant say for sure if the job will even be done right, I think anything over $100 would be too much. Your advice to them to hire a licensed plumber would save them at least that much in grief, Stick to what you do know, cause it aint estimating, probably aint construction either. Job should take 2 1/2 days tops Day 1 Build 2x surround wall and base Remove all plumbing fixtures necessary - by a real plumber Set base and walls in place Plumber plumb drain and water lines set fiberglass shell Day 2 drywall and finish, paint and trim Day 2 1/2 or late on day 2 have plumber trim out and test Clean up your mess

10 days ........ Sheesh

Kickstart

Reply to
Kickstart

Why is a business hiring an amateur to do some major plumbing work? They're going to write it off the cost on their taxes anyway, so they might as well pay the extra it would take to get a professional plumbing contractor in there.

This sounds like an informal agreement between friends or family members, and if that's the case, then I would skip the whole estimate step and tell them that they'll have to cover costs plus a daily wage, but you can't give them a definite number of days up front. Just make sure you know you can deliver professional results even if it takes a little longer, because this is the kind of thing that can cause a serious rift in a relationship.

Reply to
BZ

Go buy "National Remodeling and Repair Costs" (saw one in Borders) or the one from RS Means (saw those in Home Depot). Look up each item and it gives the material and labor costs. Adjust for your locality. Add it up. Done.

Steve.

Reply to
SteveF

The guys and idiot. He cant do the work and he cant do the estimate. The Means book does not factor in 42 trips to Home Depot for materials. That's why he guesses it will take 10 days for a 2 day job.

kickstart

Reply to
Kickstart

Certainly possible but I try not to assess the competence of someone over the Internet.

If he screws it up, it's his fault and he will have to fix it.

Steve.

Reply to
SteveF

Hey, if the mark's willing to pay for ten day's labor...

Reply to
HeyBub

Well I would be more inclined to hire someone who has enough sense to know that you can not properly finish drywall in one day. Two days using setting mud and proper air circulation I will buy.

The third day to paint. Two coats if you start early and push it. Two days if you follow label directions. Most hacks can't read.

Every day is a trip and time to travel.

Hacks can do it faster and are usually the low bidder.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

"The mark " ? you must be a *real* contractor.

kickstart

Reply to
Kickstart

The other issue to consider here is virtually everywhere you need permits to do this work and the contractor needs the appropriate license, eg plumber, electrical, etc. There are many ways to get into trouble here. One of which is if the customer isn't satisfied, refuses to pay, sues you, or someone happens to call the local code officials. Doing some handyman type repairs is one thing, but getting involved in adding a bathroom, it's hard to argue you didn't know you needed licenses and permits.

Reply to
trader4

And I would not hire someone that can't finish more than 1 sheet of drywall a day. Its only 1 sheet of drywall....... you read ... don't you ? Ever heard of 45 minute or 90 minute mud ? How much finishing can there be ? I guess that depends on how much of a mess you make, you know your work better than I

And yes painting would have to dry . Skip a day and come back to paint, still only 2 1/2 to 3 day tops, not 10

kickstart .... the overcharging hack

Reply to
Kickstart