Help with clogged tub drain

Today the tub refuses to drain, even a little bit. I tried the following and none worked;

1) plunger (while trying to block the overflow hole) 2) taking the thingy out the switches from shower to tub mode 3) snaking the drain by hand, both from the drain and the overflow hole 4) vinegar and baking powder 5) boiling water

None are working! Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
JH

Ooops...2) Should have read that I took that I took the stopper out.

I tried the garden hose...didn't work

I'm trying the shop vac thing...so far it doesn't look too promising... :(

Reply to
JH

it depends on where clog is.....

if its far downsteam a small hand snake wouldnt work.

did you snake down the opening where the drain shut off goes?

Reply to
hallerb

What are you trying to do with the shop vac?

I shop vac standing water out, and run the faucet for a bit. Once water pools again, I vac it out. Takes 3-4 iterations, then it opens up. Sometimes I'll put crystals or drain opener after a vacuum, let it sit, then run the faucet and wait a bit before vac it out, but this is when I'm feeling adventurous or desperate.

Reply to
Nexus7

When our shower drain seemed a little slow, I got out the old coat hanger...straightened it out and bent the tip into a very small hook. When I put it into the drain, it seemed like it hit something soft - I was worried the pipe was broken and I was hitting dirt. It wasn't dirt

- it was an amazing, huge, disgusting glob of hair. Probably 35 years worth :o(

I realize a hanger could be dangerous, but I had no intention of inserting into the bend in the pipe. In another home, the plumber got a tub drain cleaned out, and could tell there had been only two people who had used that tub. He was right, and he knew their hair color. Yuck!

Reply to
Norminn