Help with AG pool leak..

AG 12' x 24' pool. Level had gone down over the winter. I thought I might have pumped out water accidentaly when pumping water off of the winter cover... Not so.... Last night I covered the skimmer and plugged the return line to eliminate the chance that its in the filter plumbing...

Over night the water went down 1 inch in about 10 hours. I plan on lowering the water level afew inches at a time and then waiting to see if it goes down on its own. I figure when it stops going down on its own I will have a rough idea what level the leak is at. then I will get in (still very cold) and inspect the perimiter of the liner just above the water level to find the hole????

Problem is, if the hole is on the floor or at the very bottem this may not work out to well.

Is there a better way to find this leak???

1" from a 12' x 24' pool in 10 hours seems like a pretty good leak???

Thanks for any help..

\\ Steve

Reply to
Mary

Thats 12x24 = 288 square feet 1" deep is 24 cubic feet or 2.4 CF per hour or (1 US gallon = 0.133680556 cubic feet) = 0.32 gal/hr or 41oz/hr or

0.68 oz per minute.

If you put a drop of food coloring near the hole it will be sucked out but that method is mainly for confirmation, it would take forever to screen a whole pool that way.

Note that the rate of draining will decrease as you remove water and all that weight is no longer pressing on the hole. 2.4CF/hr will be cut in half when the pool is half empty if the hole is on the bottom.

Try digging a few small test holes around the perimiter of the pool to see if you can localize a wet area and limit your search.

Reply to
PipeDown

I think there's a hole in your calculations.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Most leaks I've encountered are on the bottom.

Using a face mask, they're usually visible. At one inch in ten hours, I think you'll see it.

Holes can be repaired without draining the pool.

Reply to
Dan Espen

= 2.4/0.12268 = 18 gallons per hour or 0.3 gpm...

The leak rate might increase, with less pressure to seal the liner to the soil around the hole.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Miss Mary,Steve,...........1st of all what size pool do you have????........12'x24'...means

12foot around by 24foot deep.....Your not using your well are you?

In any event.....The goggles are what I used on my 15'x48". Some are obvious, some are not.

A pool is like a garden, Spend an hour on it a day, and it's no trouble......But miss one day, and it goes to seed..........Sky

You can obtain either self-adhesed patches (make sure the edges are rounded), or vinyl scraps, ( still round edges) and apply a vinyl adhesve glue to your patch, that works under water.....I always thought that process was t*ts...To see a patch with glue work under water.

I've done this numerous times......I'll check back later.........

I'm also steve...........................................................

Reply to
sky

Reply to
sky

Its an oval pool 48" high

Steve

Reply to
Mary

Okay....I think I'm getting a picture .........You have an oval pool

12' wide by 24' long.... That's 48" deep......That's a lot of space to cover..... to check.

And no, 1" overnight isn't that bad.

Your still goin' to need the goggles....maybe even a snorkel, and while your at it put a pair of cotton socks on... It'll help you to get around and you can clean the liner if you drag your feet....... Their especialy good for getting under the seam where the wall meets the floor. And they'll pick out imperfections easier.

How old is the liner? Did you install? or move in, and it was there?....... Do you know what the floor was carved from? Did you have shale or good dirt? Has the sand shifted? Has the cove moved? Was the wall seam where it's bolted together duct taped? What type of grass do you have in your yard? Are there trees near by?

Did you have a hard winter? Ice under the cover can expand and cause a break in a cold vinyl liner.

Birds looking for water can peck a hole......I've had wood ducks in mine.

Do you have a cat or dog?

Have enough to chew on? for now?............I'll check back........steve

Mary wrote:

Reply to
sky