Help with 3-way switch

I've been doing a lot of wiring at home lately and it has been going pretty good. To date I've wired 5 different 3 way switches and all have worked good. The sixth one I did today did not go so well. In the past the circuits have all consisted of a source, 2 switches, and one light. The one I tried to today has source, two switches, and 4 lights. The setup is the source comes in at one switch, then there are

4 lights in a row, and then a switch at the far end.

Here is the problem: When the switch at the source is in Position A all 4 lights come on but they are dim. The end switch will turn the lights off and on. When the source switch is in Position B the lights go off but the end switch will not turn them back on.

I used a diagram for a circuit with source, 2 switches, and one light in the type of circuit I described. I extended it by adding more lights to the middle and using the same wiring scenario as in the single-light configuration.

Below is a link to a drawing of what I did. To save space I only have two lights in the drawing but the actual circuit I have has 4 lights. Either the logic of the circuit is wrong, or the circuit is right and I wired it wrong. I'm hoping someone can show me the error of my ways.

Greg

Reply to
Greg DeBacker

You diagram explains the problem. The lights are each wired to the same pair of wires. One side of each light is wired to the neutral (white wire) and the other to the Hot. The hot wire should come from the switch on the right of your diagram. The white wire should go from the incoming wire to the left light then the right light. It stops there. The red wire from the left switch should be attached to the like terminal on the right switch and the black wire from the left switch is OK. The red wire from the right switch then goes to the left light, then continues to the left light.

Just wire it as if there was only one light following the instructions on the switches. Next wire the other light directly to the first.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan