Oh, my. What if it's not coumadin, but warfarin? Coumadin is a brand name, but the it is so available now in generic. Most people still call it coumadin. It was first made from clover hay, and was discovered by a veterinarian. It was noticed as a treatment for humans when an armed forces inductee tried to overdose on it, and they noticed that it drastically reduced his blood coagulating capability.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coumadin
Steve
Visit my blog at www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
Steve B wrote:

I did notice, which is why I bothered to send the right spelling. Did not intend to make it criticism.

My condolences, Duke. I am eight years post-op for heart surgery, and take coumadin every day because of an artificial valve. I have had a few incidents with some bruises and injuries, but lucky so far. I, too, take pain meds for degenerative bone disease.
Start calling around to EVERY local, state, and federal place you can find that offers assistance. Perhaps they can hook you up with a chair that has wider wheels that not only would be more stable, but possibly motorized. I have heard that Hover (not sure of spelling) has gotten people chairs that are 100% paid for by government grants. Call wheelchair suppliers and ask if they have government assisted programs. They will do all the paperwork, and you just might have a new buggy sitting in your living room very soon. You've paid in a lot of taxes in your life, so get on the horn and see if you qualify to get some help back.
Life with a motorized chair with wider wheels sounds like a winner for you and the missus.
Take care, and God bless.
Steve
Visit my blog at www.cabgbypasssurgery.com
snipped-for-privacy@eldorado.com wrote:

My first thought would be to use either vinyl or outdoor carpet runners avail. at the big box stores. Perhaps wider wheels on chair? Blood clots should not be a long-term deal, so consider setting up cot in fam. rm.? If the chair is only to limit movement, and not needed due to pain or inability to move legs, the doc might allow walking a few steps from chair to bath, etc.
On Apr 22, 5:31am, snipped-for-privacy@eldorado.com wrote:

Sounds like your rugs are too plush and need to be replaced with carpeting or hard surface flooring which will more easily accommodate the new status quo...
Good luck...
~~ Evan
snipped-for-privacy@eldorado.com wrote:

My in-laws had good results with vinyl runners. Be certain to get very wide ones to accommodate the wheel chair and turning.

Google and call around. Look for medical newsgroups. I'm sure someone else has faced this. I would think the plastic runners may help, but may make it difficult as they may sink into the carpet. Changing carpets would be the worst thing. What about a chair with wider wheels? I've seen them with inflatable wide tires.
Steve
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 08:58:47 -0700, "Steve B"

Thanks for the ideas guys. Now I am investigating a TSS300 power chair from the Scooter Store. I am hoping Medicare and my supplement BS/BC will cover it.
Duke