Help! We have mice

I need tips on how to get rid of these nasty little buggers. I live in a mobile home next to an empty field and we have been getting field mice in here like crazy. Help.

Reply to
tessa

Either a cat or use traps with some peanut butter as bait. You'll be rid of them in no time.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Reply to
roger61611

Sorry about that non-post.

You'll also need to go over and under your mobile home and look for cracks, holes, openings, etc as well. Mice can creep in via a hole that is only a half inch wide. They tend to come in when it starts to turn cold. As if you didn't know that.

The ones inside, traps is where it's at.

Reply to
roger61611

most live the entire life in your home, or under it.

they dont drink water they get it from food.

they dont leave your home and can die in your walls making a stink.

poision is a really poor choice and dangerous for kids and pets

Reply to
hallerb

In article , snipped-for-privacy@charter.net says... :) I need tips on how to get rid of these nasty little buggers. I live in a :) mobile home next to an empty field and we have been getting field mice in :) here like crazy. Help. :) :) :) Make sure there is no clutter around next to the trailer. Buy some tamper resistant bait stations and secure them around on the outside of the trailer to reduce the population outside. Secure traps inside. With mice almost anything and even nothing can be used as bait. Wrapping the threads of a cotton ball around the trigger or a couple of drops of vanilla extract works well if bait is wanted, along with peanut butter.

Reply to
Lar

In article , adam snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says... :) I would recommend buying a poison I have used in the past that has :) worked very well. You put it out in areas normally frequented by the :) critters. After they eat it, they become severely dehydrated and go :) outside to find water, where they die. This way, they die outside :) instead of dealing with traps. Good luck :) curious to what the name of the make em go outside for water bait is...

Reply to
Lar

In article , snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says... :) poision is a really poor choice and dangerous for kids and pets :) :) depends on the situation... have come across plenty of people with vet bills from broken toes on their pets because of traps....and the amount of bait that would have to be eaten to cause a problem usually will not be put out by a homeowner...but as you mentioned, with interior mice problems chances are some will die in the walls

Reply to
Lar

The best thing to use is live traps-the mice are captured and kept alive.

When you catch one, you open the little door on the trap and when the mouse sticks its head out, you bite it off.

Traps are available at Wal-Mart, Lowes, The Home Depot, and participating Ace and True Value hardware stores.

Reply to
Karl S

Reply to
buffalobill

I don't like poison for exactly that reason. As for the traps, the one time I remember having to deal with an invasion of mice I started finding little mouse turds in the pull out drawer underneath the stove where I normally stored pots and pans. Since that's where I knew they went, that's where I placed the traps. Did an excellent job and my cat's feet were safe. After I caught the first one in a trap, I pointed it out to my cat. He looked kind of embarassed that he didn't know they were here but he went on the hunt after that. Between the two of us, we cleaned out the entire colony in three or four days.

I'd be sitting there watching TV when I'd hear a "BAM" come out of the kitchen. Sure enough, another mouse would have bitten the dust. Very satisfying.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Nothing beats the standard Victor snap-trap, baited with a raisin crushed onto the bait pan so the mice can't tug it off.

Reply to
Doug Miller

That only happens to pet owners who can't figure out how to place snap traps where mice can get to them but dogs and cats can't.

Reply to
Doug Miller

There isn't any. That's a marketing myth perpetuated by the makers of the poison baits. Fact is, most of the time they die inside the house and stink for two weeks.

Reply to
Doug Miller

You CANT kill all the mice in the adjacent field. they reproduce fast!

seal myour home espically around utility pipes, like water etc. I used metal shavings reinforced with cement.

the best you can do is seal them out and no matter what you cant seal them out from under your trailer, they will dig under skirting.

seal the bottom side of your home so they cant get into the living area

Reply to
hallerb

It's the first cold snap. The field mice are just trying to stay warm.

They would rather, if truth be know, stay in the field. As winter progresses, the problem will disappear.

Anyway, the best solution is a cat. No joke. Towser, a tabby now gone on to her reward in cat heaven, as chief mouser for the Glenfiddich distillery in Scotland holds the Guiness record for dispatching 24,899 mice in her 23-year career (as well as a few rats and an occassional rabbit).

You can even borrow a cat (some shelters have a "money back" guarantee for adopted pets).

Reply to
HeyBub

I prefer live traps such as the Victor tin cat as live mice are actually much cuter to deal with than dead ones.

I have found that cats are not that effective as mice are very well adapted at finding ways to stay hidden out of their reach.

I prefer the expanding type foam as a sealant. Wear your grubbies when you use it as it's impossible to get out of clothing if it touches you. Be sure to check the water pipe entries under every sink. There is often gap there which allows mice to enter from under the house.

Reply to
wrkg_onit

Sometimes it's tough to trap them all, and the poison can be very effective. I have used poison with great success. Yeah, a few of the critters will remain inside, but you'll get them all quickly. You can trap as well, of course - any mouse the traps miss the poison will almost certainly get. I had problems with mice in an attic, and it was impossible to access the area they were living (I could hear them at night, but there was no way to climb into the very small access space. You could see it, but not get to it.)

I tossed poison in there, and after two nights of vigorous activity (you could hear the poison blocks getting dragged around), the mice were gone.

Incidentally, the poison I was using doesn't have any "secondary poisoning" issues - that is to say, if a dog or cat eats a mouse that's eaten the poison, there aren't any ill effects.

If you're using the poison in an accessible location, you can purchase bait-boxes that animals and kids can't get in to. Not that the poison holds any attraction for animals in any case. My dog, who will eat just about anything, shows no interest at all in the blocks.

good luck.

Reply to
maurice

Please tell me what poison you use that is not harmful to pets?

Reply to
Terry