Help! We have mice

Page 1 of 2

I need tips on how to get rid of these nasty little buggers. I live in a mobile home next to an empty field and we have been getting field mice in here like crazy. Help.
tessa wrote:

Either a cat or use traps with some peanut butter as bait. You'll be rid of them in no time.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 22:50:17 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:

Only if they plug the entry-path. That empty field is effectively an infinite source. Seal all the ways the mice can get in, THEN kill them with traps.
tessa wrote:

Sorry about that non-post.
You'll also need to go over and under your mobile home and look for cracks, holes, openings, etc as well. Mice can creep in via a hole that is only a half inch wide. They tend to come in when it starts to turn cold. As if you didn't know that.
The ones inside, traps is where it's at.
I would recommend buying a poison I have used in the past that has worked very well. You put it out in areas normally frequented by the critters. After they eat it, they become severely dehydrated and go outside to find water, where they die. This way, they die outside instead of dealing with traps. Good luck
tessa wrote:

AB wrote:

most live the entire life in your home, or under it.
they dont drink water they get it from food.
they dont leave your home and can die in your walls making a stink.
poision is a really poor choice and dangerous for kids and pets
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says... :) poision is a really poor choice and dangerous for kids and pets :) :) depends on the situation... have come across plenty of people with vet bills from broken toes on their pets because of traps....and the amount of bait that would have to be eaten to cause a problem usually will not be put out by a homeowner...but as you mentioned, with interior mice problems chances are some will die in the walls
--
Lar

to email...get rid of the BUGS
Lar wrote:

I don't like poison for exactly that reason. As for the traps, the one time I remember having to deal with an invasion of mice I started finding little mouse turds in the pull out drawer underneath the stove where I normally stored pots and pans. Since that's where I knew they went, that's where I placed the traps. Did an excellent job and my cat's feet were safe. After I caught the first one in a trap, I pointed it out to my cat. He looked kind of embarassed that he didn't know they were here but he went on the hunt after that. Between the two of us, we cleaned out the entire colony in three or four days.
I'd be sitting there watching TV when I'd hear a "BAM" come out of the kitchen. Sure enough, another mouse would have bitten the dust. Very satisfying.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

That only happens to pet owners who can't figure out how to place snap traps where mice can get to them but dogs and cats can't.
--
Regards,
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Never never never use poison when peanut butter does the same thing.
adam snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says... :) I would recommend buying a poison I have used in the past that has :) worked very well. You put it out in areas normally frequented by the :) critters. After they eat it, they become severely dehydrated and go :) outside to find water, where they die. This way, they die outside :) instead of dealing with traps. Good luck :) curious to what the name of the make em go outside for water bait is...
--
Lar

to email...get rid of the BUGS

poison baits. Fact is, most of the time they die inside the house and stink for two weeks.
--
Regards,
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com says... :) There isn't any. That's a marketing myth perpetuated by the makers of the :) poison baits. Fact is, most of the time they die inside the house and stink :) for two weeks. :) :) I definitely never heard that come from the makers of the baits, more so from the exterminators "No ma'am, they won't die in the wall..blah blah blah"...or half heard explanations from the exterminator. "the kidneys contain lots of blood vessels which are effected by the bait..blah blah" and of course spread even more by the untrained at the local home Depot type stores. Rodents definitely don't die most of the time in walls for I would guess I get less than 12 calls a year of such a problem and I have bait in over 250 homes year round. I don't bait inside for mice because much more of a chance over rats that they probably will die inside but it usually lasts 7-10 days depending on time of year if they do. Lar

to email...get rid of the BUGS
On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 22:47:16 -0400, tessa wrote:

The best thing to use is live traps-the mice are captured and kept alive.
When you catch one, you open the little door on the trap and when the mouse sticks its head out, you bite it off.
Traps are available at Wal-Mart, Lowes, The Home Depot, and participating Ace and True Value hardware stores.
see some fun answers at: http://www.wikihow.com/Special:LSearch?search=mice&fulltext=Search see serious answers at Evict and Exile Mice from Your Home: http://www.nysipm.cornell.edu/publications/evictmice /
tessa wrote:

Nothing beats the standard Victor snap-trap, baited with a raisin crushed onto the bait pan so the mice can't tug it off.
--
Regards,
You CANT kill all the mice in the adjacent field. they reproduce fast!
tessa wrote:

It's the first cold snap. The field mice are just trying to stay warm.
They would rather, if truth be know, stay in the field. As winter progresses, the problem will disappear.
Anyway, the best solution is a cat. No joke. Towser, a tabby now gone on to her reward in cat heaven, as chief mouser for the Glenfiddich distillery in Scotland holds the Guiness record for dispatching 24,899 mice in her 23-year career (as well as a few rats and an occassional rabbit).
You can even borrow a cat (some shelters have a "money back" guarantee for adopted pets).