Help w/ Kenmore canister vac - stopped working on carpet

Hi all - can someone give me an idea of what the problem might be (belt / motor)?
Have a fairly new Kenmore canister Progressive vacuum. I was vacuuming an area rug an magaged to start to get the fringe of the blanket inside. Immediately shut it off (heard a "squeak), and pulled out the fringe from the roller.
It works on the "bare floor" switch, but not on the "carpet" (ie: light does not come on and the roller is not turning). I did check the belt - hadn't slipped or worn, from what I could tell.
The service center is closed for the weekend, but wondered if I just blew threw the belt and I can pick up a new one or might it need to be serviced?
Thanks in advance for any help!
Mike
mike_spok wrote:

Maybe beater brush bar is not turning. Belt broke or slipped off.

Most of that type of unit has a reset of some sort, perhaps right on the head itself. The owners manual probably point it out in the troubleshooting section.
wrote in message

No power is getting to the carpet brush, otherwise the light would go on, so it's not the belt. Either the switch has failed, giving you just OFF and Floor, but not Carpet; or there is a fuse or fusible link that has blown. Check the manual, but I think you will have to wait until the repair center opens.
--
Peace,
BobJ