Help! Veranda Composite Railing

I chose Veranda Composite decking material to build my new front steps and also the matching balusters and railing system from Home Depot. The decking installation went smoothly and I'm satisfied with its look and ease of installation. However, when I started to look at the railing system, I found a problem. The reversible handrail sold at H. Depot is nearly flat board, with a slight indent on one side to accept the balusters. When checking the veranda decking web site, all information shows a L-shaped railing system - not what was sold in the store. I can easily see how the L-shaped railing would fit the balusters, but mine has no flat surface to set a screw through and secure the baluster. I know this is not helpful if you are not familiar with the products, but I'm hoping someone is. I went back to H Depot and showed the lumber guy and he told me, "You got me...I'm stumped." Great help there. I can send anyone who is willing to give it a look a digital photo or two. Anyone use this presumably older style material to build a railing? I emailed Veranda directly, but so far no response.

Reply to
Gryhound

"Gryhound" wrote

Another example of the big orange box selling material to _their_ specifications.

Reply to
Charlie Moons

What timing. Just as I finished the original post, I hopped in my truck for yet another run to home depot to check their shelves for the right Veranda material. I was also ready to grill the special order guy yet again about their supply problem. So I walk in and what do I find on the shelf but the CORRECT L-shaped railing system. About Time!

I did speak to the special order clerk who told me that they had to switch venders to finally get their stock. I grabbed what I needed, ran it home and returned all of the wrong railing boards with no problems. By this time tomorrow I will have finished front steps.

Reply to
Gryhound