Help understanding a 3-way switch

I am trying to install a motion sensor in place of a 3 way switch in a circuit with 2 switches. The model is the Levitron PR180 and Googling does show a lot of problems with this device and 3 ways.

I started by disconnecting both ends of the circuit. Upon testing the wires I determined that where I wanted the sensor was at the line end. I connected the Hot Line to the black traveler and tested at the other end. I expected black to be hot, but both black and red where hot.

Likewise back at the Line end the still disconnected red was hot. At this point the Levitron instructions ceased to be useful as they seemed to be betting on only one being hot. I called their tech support, but the guy told me my switch was "wired wrong". The switch came with the house, and worked fine before as a 3 way. I have looked at electrical manuals for the various ways to wire 3 ways and I can't see one that would leave both travelers hot, so maybe he's right.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Gary

Reply to
GaryM

If I read everything correctly, the only way you will be able to get it to work properly at that location is to run another wire to it. Are you ready to do that.

Also if I read it all correctly, it is not wired "wrong," but it is wired in a way that will not work as you would like.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Thanks for the reply. 50% of the wiring is in an unfinished basement. If I had to run a wire to the 3-way switch, the other 50%, that is probably game over for me. "A man has to know limitations."

Gary

Reply to
GaryM

Or just get a X10 switch and forget the Leviton.

In a 3-way, one of the switches has the power, the other just flips it. You have a 50/50 chance of being on the right end of the circuit. Looks like you struck out.

Reply to
CptDondo

That is as it should be. In a 3-way circuit both the black & red are hot.

It's been a while since I've wired a 3way circuit so I don't quite know how they work.

Reply to
Bob M.

Reply to
buffalobill

My Leviton timers for 3-ways had a jumper for the other switch to make both legs hot. The unit itself sensed the short pulse when the switch was thrown (I think) rather than which leg was hot.

Was there a small (1" l> I am trying to install a motion sensor in place of a 3 way switch in a

Reply to
Andrew Duane

It did come with the jumper, but I think my problem is that this circuit is not wired in a way that will work. That is, because my two travelers are always hot there is no pulse to signal it to go on. Contrary to what someone wrote above, it was my understanding in a traditional 3-way with the load in the middle, that only one traveler will be hot and the dipole switches break and complete the circuit by flip-flopping between the travelers. This is what the Levitron instructions seem to bank on too.

The best I can achieve right now is to have the switch be flipped two times. This provides the pulse (in effect it kills power to the sensor then restores it). I can't see this working as a permanent solution and I am leaning to ripping the thing out, which is a pity because it works pretty darn good, otherwise.

Reply to
GaryM