HELP: Tub drain question: How to test before bath install?

Hi, I am in the middle of a bathroom remodel and have questions about the trap for the tub? I installed it exactly like several books indicate, but is there a way to test it before I install the tub? I was able to poor a few buckets of water down all the other pips, Closets, Sink Drains, etc... But it doesn't work for the tub drain. The water just fills the trap and then that's it. The only thing I can think of is that the weght of the water in the tub cause the water to go down the drain, but I am fearful before installing the tub that this won't work. Any ideas or or this normal. I have thought about getting a 2 or 3 foot hunk of pipe and installing that in the drain and pooring the water down that, but I'm afraid of being stuck with a standing pipe of water and not being able to remove it without a big mess.

Logically these tub traps don't look like they would work, but what do I know....

Reply to
snoopy_

Did you install a vent?

Reply to
Sev

Get a short piece of pipe (maybe 6") and fill that. The water level in the pipe should go down to the level of the exit pipe from the trap. If it does not, the drain is clogged. A vent is not needed for this to work. The standing height of the water in the tub is not needed for it to drain either.

You could also try to blow into the trap inlet (or use outlet of a shop vac).

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim